STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $13.00 P/Hour
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 2:00pm -5:45pm with additional prep, meeting and training time.
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi -site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
We are seeking a qualified Group Leader for our After-School program with a strong commitment to youth development to work in our comprehensive year - round Youth Development Program (afterschool, holiday and summer components). The Group Leader is responsible for the direct guidance, supervision, and safety of youth under their care, while ensuring an engaging and intellectually stimulating experience. He/ she will serve as a model for youth ages 6-12 by building rapport with participants through positive interactions in program activities.
- Responsible for the guidance, supervision, and safety of youth ages 6-12 with adherence to determined schedule.
- Design and lead in-house and external learning, recreational, arts and developmental activities for youth (sports, games, arts and crafts, theatre, field trips, etc.).
- Develop and implement age-appropriate curriculum; submit sequenced lesson plans in advance.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with students, teachers, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Engage with youth and use appropriate strategies to preemptively defuse inappropriate behavior and encourage positive interactions demonstrating effective program and classroom management.
- Ensure proper care of all area materials, organize room and report any misused or damaged materials to Directors in order to ensure safety and effective operations.
- Responsible for tracking, completion and timely submission of all program reports relative to this position, including but not limited to participant attendance, performance, supply requests, lesson plans and timesheets.
- Support organization of special events such as talent shows, awards, trainings, and parent meetings as necessary.
- Communicate with Program Director and/or Assistant Director about any issues including schedule modifications or important behavioral or environmental difficulties.
- Participate in training and staff development activities.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED and must be currently enrolled in an institution of higher education.
- Minimum of two (2) years' experience working with youth in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate leadership, community service, civic engagement and enrichment activities.
- Experience in developing group lesson plans or integrated learning packages.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
- Bilingual (Spanish/Bengali) a plus.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Group Leader” to Krystalie Colon at KColon@qchnyc.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education Required