1525 Newton Street, NW
District of Columbia
Thrive DC works to prevent and end homelessness by providing vulnerable individuals with a comprehensive range of services to help stabilize their lives. We envision a city in which vulnerable individuals receive the necessary support and resources to lead a fulfilling and stable life, free of homelessness. Thrive DC relies heavily on volunteers, in-kind contributions, community partnerships, and financial contributions to achieve its mission and help clients end their homelessness and positively change their lives.
Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Development Director
Hours: 40 hours/week; Monday-Friday
Status: Full-time, exempt
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for raising the visibility of Thrive DC through print, email, social media, and broadcast communications, as well as the Thrive DC website.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· 1-3 years of related communications experience, including web development, social media, and traditional media.
· Ability to cultivate and steward relationships with external constituents.
· Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to collaborate and work effectively with a diverse group of volunteers, clients and staff
· Outstanding organizational and time management ability.
· Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
· Strict attention to detail.
· Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines.
· Strong work ethic, enthusiasm, sense of humor, creativity, flexibility, and patience.
· Previous experience with underserved and/or homeless population.
· Experience or familiarity with graphic design applications.
· Strong copywriter with a skill for storytelling and an ear for a strong pitch for different audiences.
· Collaboratively develop and execute a strategic communications plan designed to educate, inform, and activate a diverse group of Thrive DC’s stakeholders to advance the organization’s mission and programs.
· Create and execute media campaigns highlighting fundraising initiatives, services programs, and organizational achievements.
· Create, edit, and publish newsletters, press releases, and social media content.
· Build and foster relationships with diverse media entities in the DC area.
· Recruit, and train as needed, interns. Coordinate supervisory responsibilities with staff.
· Take initiative and work independently with little supervision.
· Manage conflict and challenges pleasantly and professionally in a manner that produces positive results for all constituents.
· Serve as an advocate for Thrive DC’s clients in the greater community.
· Provide coverage during Thrive DC’s social service programs when needed; may include occasional physical labor including lifting, carrying, cleaning, etc.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Some evening and weekend work may be required for special fundraising events and activities.
Thrive DC offers a competitive compensation package including health and dental insurance, paid holidays, vacation/personal days, and a dynamic, energetic team of staff and volunteers. This position may also include the flexibility to occasionally work remotely.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and relevant writing sample to: