This position includes primary work in Nashville and Antioch. At Rocketship, one of our key pillars is building authentic parent power in our community. In our Parent Organizing Committees (POCs), parents advocate tirelessly for their children by becoming community leaders in education equity. The position involves working with current parent leaders to develop their knowledge of governance, power, political dynamics, and systematic barriers affecting their families, especially for underserved communities. Simultaneously, the organizer will work to recruit and train new parents in community organizing skills, drawing them into the movement and increasing parent voice, involvement, and presence in the education political landscape of Nashville and Tennessee as a whole. The Nashville Education Organizer is a full-time, exempt position on Rocketship’s Parent Leadership and Growth and Community Engagement (GCE) function, serving the Nashville community.
This role will report to the national parent leadership functional lead, collaborate with fellow organizers nationally and the align and partner on strategy set by the Nashville Executive Director, as well as partnering effectively with school leaders, families, community organizations, and stakeholders in advocacy for educational equity at our Rocketship schools.
This is a bilingual English/Spanish position.
- Build the capacity of parents to understand the State and local educational landscape, key decision makers, and power of community, through the PICO Organizing Cycle.
- Recruit, mobilize, and retain a network of parents and community stakeholders that build advocacy and engagement to transform our local communities.
- Complete one-on-one relational meetings every week (approximately 15-20) with current and future parent leaders and other important stakeholders that build organizing capacity and engagement.
- Work closely with the Nashville GCE team remain informed on the local education politics landscape and develop coordinated grasstops - grassroots strategies.
- Foster relationships and develop champions with community-based organizations, faith leaders, elected officials, civic and community leaders that leads to elevating parent organizing.
- Lead charter renewal parent organizing campaigns and support parent-led civic and local campaigns for education equity
- This position requires daily travel between school sites and community locations where various events and meetings with parents could be held. Valid Driver’s licence and access to vehicle required.
- Verbal and written fluency in both Spanish and English
- The ability to position Rocketship in the policy arena as an agent for positive change through strong communication and strategic skills
- A results-oriented, goal-driven, team approach to work
- Demonstrated ability to interact and cultivate support among diverse stakeholders
- Experience using Google Apps and a willingness to learn and implement new technology
- The desire to learn and an openness to challenge
- A sense of urgency and passion for social justice and equity in education
- Ability to work some nights and weekends, as campaigns require
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- 1+ year experience in community organizing, education reform, or engagement in grassroots movements
- Experience managing and/or leading community organizing campaigns and mobilizing support
- Experience working with organizations or schools in a diverse community
- Familiar with local and/or state politics, education politics & movements
- Strong public speaking, writing, and analytical skills
- Capacity to think strategically and critically about social, economic, cultural, and political issues affecting a community
- A bachelor’s degree