Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
District of Columbia
Urban Teachers is seeking a seasoned and motivated development officer to join its fundraising team as the Major Gifts Officer in Washington, DC where significant expansion is underway.
The Major Gifts Officer will develop and implement strategies to secure financial support from a portfolio of individual, foundation and corporate donor prospects determined to have the ability to make five- and six-figure gifts. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, you will work closely with the CEO, a grant writer and other members of the Urban Teachers team. You will also work with community leaders and with local Urban Teachers leadership to identify, cultivate and solicit donors necessary to meet DC’s philanthropic goal.
About Urban Teachers:
The mission of Urban Teachers is to prepare highly effective teachers who significantly accelerate student achievement and remain teaching in the nation’s highest-need schools. Urban Teachers accomplishes this by recruiting outstanding candidates, equipping them with state-of-the-art training, and linking their certification to their demonstration of effective teaching practices and skills. Founded in 2009, Urban Teachers is a $20 M operation with a mixed-income strategy that provides hundreds of gap-closing teachers in Baltimore, Washington, DC and Dallas/Fort Worth. This position will be responsible for raising $1.5 - $2 M.Learn more about Urban Teachers on our website: http://www.urbanteachers.org.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Solicit gifts of $25,000+
- Help build the visibility of Urban Teachers in DC
- Manage a portfolio of Washington, DC prospects
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle by working collaboratively with Urban Teachers’ DC leadership and the local philanthropic community to:
- Identify and initiate contacts with major gift prospects
- Develop and implement appropriate cultivation strategies
- Make solicitations in person and through proposal submissions
- Maintain proper stewardship
- Manage preparation of grant proposals and reports
- Track prospect and donor contact, status, follow up, and essential information in the organization’s database
- Dedication to improving educational outcomes for urban youth
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Five to seven years of demonstrable success in major gift fundraising
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to write and speak in a clear, sincere and compelling manner
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to manage multiple activities and demands, and/or projects simultaneously, while maintaining a high degree of effectiveness, a spirit of collaboration and a sense of humor
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required
- Experience with E-Tapestry, Raiser’s Edge and/or Salesforce preferred
- Demonstrated initiative and self-starting capacity
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified individuals who are fully invested in Urban Teachers’ mission and vision and who thrive in fast-paced, results-oriented settings are encouraged to apply at https://urbanteacher.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=40.