Details: $15.50 per hour, DOE
5135 NE Columbia Blvd.
Position: Domestic Violence Advocate
Department/Program: Family Services Department; Healing Circle Program
Compensation: Starts at $15.50 hourly or commensurate with experience
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time, Non-Exempt
Hours: General working hours are 9am-6pm; flexible work schedule available upon approval; evenings and occasional weekends, as assigned.
Supervision: No supervisory requirements
Reports To: Healing Circle Manager
Job Location: NAYA Family Center Main Office: 5135 NE Columbia Blvd Portland, OR 97218
Created/Revised: July 2018
This position is part of the Healing Circle program Programming focuses on domestic violence prevention providing a wide range of services including immediate crisis intervention services, advocacy and ongoing support and educational services.
· Maintain excellent Case Management procedures in compliance with funding sources and strength-based interventions.
· Provide clients with case management services including administration and direct service for housing services, information and referrals, and client advocacy through face-to-face meetings and telephone contact.
· Contact key staff members in the Portland Metropolitan Area’s housing and social service organizations that provide for pregnant or parenting teens, adults, singles and families to identify and develop critically needed resources for clients.
· Provide community outreach/training to the community partners on culturally competent Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault prevention
· Disburse client assistance funds and supplies in compliance with funding sources and program priorities.
· Attend meetings in accordance to priorities of the Family Services Director and the Healing Circle Manager.
· Represent NAYA Family Center and the Domestic Violence Program at community events and other interest generating opportunities.
· Assist in database management, including data entry and grant reporting
· Participate in staff trainings through NAYA Family Center and partner agencies as directed by Healing Circle Manager
· Other duties as assigned by the Family Services Director and the Healing Circle Manager
· Ability to manage caseloads efficiently.
· NAYA Family Center is a team and community-based organization that relies heavily on all members of the team participating and supporting each other. It is a requirement of this position to work as an active member of the team, participate actively in cross-departmental NAYA team projects and to contribute to fostering a safe and secure environment for community members and staff.
Education & Training:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field required
o An equivalent combination of education and experience may be an acceptable substitute
· Knowledge of local housing, community, and social service resources (including emergency resources and other resources related to housing, homelessness and eviction) required
· Knowledge of Native American history, an understanding of the diversity of the local American Indian/Alaskan Native community and issues surrounding the Urban Indian experience required
· Certification (or ability to certify) and ability to maintain certification in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), 1st Aid and Automatic External Defibulator (AED)
· 40 hour Domestic Violence Basic Advocacy Training for Oregon State strongly preferred
· Experience working within diverse populations (specifically with the urban and reservation Native American population, including working within a tribe, board, or other organization) strongly preferred
· Three (3) or more years of experience working in human and/or domestic violence services
· Ability to manage and maintain a high-volume caseload of participants efficiently
· Ability to stay composed and exercise good judgment in stressful situations, such as dealing with distressed clients
· Ability to be extremely flexible when managing changing priorities and schedules, without compromising quality of outcomes, ability to complete tasks, or uphold commitments
· Ability to meet multiple, sometimes conflicting deadlines or workload demands by applying strong organizational systems and efficiently managing time
· Ability to deal with different people and situations appropriately, including effective communication with people from diverse backgrounds
· Communication skills, active listening, verbal and written, including public presentation skills
· Proficient computer skills including:
o Web-based research
o Word Processing
o MS Excel
o Database use
Work Environment: 70% office/classroom, 30% outside office including travel time.
· Lifting a maximum of 30 pounds, sitting for extended periods of time.
· The employee may be required to sit for extended periods of time.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equipment Used: Computer, phone, fax, copy machine.
Safety Considerations: Some travel may be required.
1. Valid Oregon or Washington State Driver License (must be eligible to be an insured driver under NAYA Family Center’s liability insurance policy)
2. Successful completion of a background investigation (including a fingerprint criminal history check)
Benefits: Paid time off is based on tenure with the agency and includes accruals of sick and vacation hours (see agency Personnel Policy manual for PTO accrual rates). NAYA recognizes twelve paid holidays per calendar year. NAYA also provides medical, dental, and vision insurance, a Flexible Spending Account, and Life Insurance. Employees may enroll in a 401K retirement plan after 3 months of employment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Procedures: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter addressing their qualifications for the position and why they are interested in joining the NAYA Family Center team. Please also enclose a NAYA application and your resume. Applications and the official position description can be obtained online at http://www.nayapdx.org/about/jobs
Application Deadline: July 27, 2018
Attention: Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the sheer number applicants, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Please respect our no phone calls policy. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change by the employer due to changes in grants and funding sources.
Please send application materials to:
Attn: Human Resources
Native American Youth and Family Center
5135 NE Columbia Boulevard
Portland, OR 97218
Fax: (503) 288-1260