815 West Van Buren Street
Communities In Schools (CIS) of Chicago is a nonprofit organization dedicated to working in partnership with Chicago Public Schools and community organizations to help students stay in school and be successful. During the 2017-2018 school year, CIS of Chicago partnered with 147 Chicago Public Schools (CPS) and connected more than 2,000 services and programs to more than 71,000 CPS students and their families by leveraging community partner programs and services. In addition, CIS of Chicago places full-time Student Support Managers in twenty Chicago public schools – our Intensive School partners. Our staff in these schools provide intervention services to a caseload of 50 students per school who are at risk of dropping out, as well as connect support services to the whole school.
CIS of Chicago is an affiliate of Communities In Schools, Inc., a national nonprofit organization with offices in more than 150 different cities.
The mission of Communities In Schools of Chicago is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. The vision of CIS of Chicago is to ensure that every public school student in Chicago graduates from high school prepared to succeed. The organization’s core values are Impact, Integrity, Relationships, and Social Justice.
CIS of Chicago provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
CIS of Chicago is seeking a full-time College and Career Partnership Specialist. This position is an integral part of the organization’s Community Partnership Team, a group of four professionals who manage the partnerships of more than 180 agencies, institutions, and individuals that provide services in the areas of the arts, college and career readiness, health, and behavioral and mental health. Together, members of the Community Partnership Team execute a partner training series, monitor the quality of partner programming, and play supporting roles in a variety of other organizational projects, as needed.
By focusing on connecting schools to academic enrichment opportunities, the College and Career Partnership Specialist ensures that CIS of Chicago partner schools have the resources they need to provide their students with experiences and skills that prepare them for college and beyond. They are responsible for maintaining a portfolio of community partners that provide school-based programs such as career awareness, financial education, literacy skills, STEM programming, social science and civic engagement as well as tutoring and mentoring programs.
CIS of Chicago seeks a highly motivated and skilled professional in this role. The preferred candidate will have strong written and verbal communication skills, experience working with or in urban school districts, and an understanding of quality teaching and program delivery practices.
· Connect approximately 30,000 students with a variety of college and career readiness programs;
· Manage a portfolio of approximately 75 community partners, including cultivating relationships with established CIS of Chicago partners and developing new partnerships to address key needs of the CIS of Chicago school network;
· Create professional development opportunities for community partners on key development needs, such as classroom management, curriculum development, and program assessment;
· Forge relationships with post-secondary institutions like local universities, colleges and training programs with the goal of serving CIS schools;
· Collaborate with CIS’ School Partnership Team and Intensive School Team to promote college and career programs and enrichment opportunities;
· Collect and monitor data for program connections to schools as well as monitor the quality of connected programs; and
· Lead or assist with other organizational projects, as needed.
Desired skills and attributes:
· Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently
· Skilled at multi-tasking and meeting multiple deadlines
· Adept at cultivating meaningful partnerships while setting clear expectations and achieving organizational outcomes
· Strong problem-solving and strategic thinking ability
· Motivated to create and implement innovative solutions to challenges
· Excellence in communicating with diverse audiences
· Detail-oriented, with a commitment to follow-up and follow-through
· Skilled at thorough and organized record-keeping and data entry
· Enthusiasm for mission-driven work
· Sound written and verbal communication
· Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of relevant work experience
· Advanced degree candidates, particularly in the field of education or youth development, preferred
· Experience working with urban public schools and community organizations
· Required to pass a CPS background check and clearance process
· Periodic access to a reliable vehicle plus a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance required
Reports to: Director of Partnerships
Work environment: This full-time position will be based out of the CIS of Chicago office in the West Loop, with occasional travel downtown and throughout the city to schools and partner sites.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications accepted through October 31, 2018. To apply for this position, please submit: (a) a current resume; (b) a cover letter, indicating why you are interested in being the College and Career Partnership Specialist at CIS of Chicago and what makes you a uniquely strong candidate for the position; and (c) in a document separate from the cover letter, brief responses to the pre-interview questions below (up to 300 words total). Applicants that do not submit all three elements of the requested materials will not receive consideration. Please attach all three documents in a single e-mail and type “2018 College and Career Partnership Specialist” in the subject line. All postings should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or faxes, please.
· What attracted you to the position?
· How familiar are you with Chicago's public schools and its diverse communities?
· Please list five adjectives that describe your work style.
· Do you have reliable access to a vehicle for work-related travel throughout the city, as needed?