Grade Level Lead Curriculum Designer - Grades 6-8 (Consultant)
- Job posted by EL Education (Formerly Expeditionary Learning)
Full Time Contract
247 W 35th Street
Grade Level Lead Curriculum Designer - Grades 6-8 (Consultant)
ABOUT EL Education
EL Education is a leading K-12 education non-profit that is meeting the national challenge to raise student achievement. Combining challenging work with the joy of discovery and pride in mastery, EL offers the education we would want for every child: one that prepares citizens with both the skills and the character necessary for success throughout college, work and life.
Our portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on 20+ years of success in more than 160 EL schools, serving 4,000 teachers and 53,000 students in 31 states and Washington D.C. Based on founding principles of meaningful work, character and respect for teachers, EL’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement, regardless of student background.
EL students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world. For more information, visit http://eleducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
EL has gained national recognition as an organization providing high quality K-8 curriculum and professional development on the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). The Grade Level Lead Curriculum Designer - Grades 6-8 will lead a small team of three designers to design and write high quality, engaging curriculum for a given grade level within the 6-8 grade band that integrates literacy and content learning. This position represents an exciting and challenging opportunity for individuals who:
- Have proven leadership experience
- Understand the backwards design process
- Have experience teaching content-based literacy in the middle school grades
- Understand diversity and inclusion as it pertains to curriculum design
- Have a deep understanding of the implications of the CCSS “instructional shifts.”
We seek 3 grade level lead curriculum designers total to begin in April 2018 and finish in July 2019.
This position will be under the supervision of the Associate Director of Curriculum Design. S/he will:
- Lead the backwards design and writing of four “content-based literacy modules” at a given grade level: 45 minutes of instruction per day, written down to the daily lesson level:
- Help shape and hold the vision and “story” of the module
- Design formative and summative assessments
- Ensure consistent instructional practices across units and modules
- Hold the needs of all students and balance those needs
- Plan and facilitate team meetings, honoring EL’s organizational norms; building relationships; proactively communicating if issues with the group or individuals arise; naming milestones and celebrating successes; promoting reflection and ongoing improvement
- Serve as grade level project manager: Delegate tasks to team members and hold team members accountable in terms of tasks and timeline
- Coach and provide feedback to team members respectfully in a way that leads to growth
- Identify and/or write appropriate texts (given content and literacy standards the module addresses) considering diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Serve as the main liaison with EL’s Curriculum Design Team and with other members of the EL team (e.g. production, manager of publisher relations)
- Participate in design, critique, and revision at the module, unit and lesson level
- Revise lessons based on criteria and multiple rounds of feedback from internal and external reviewers
- Attend a six day Curriculum Design Intensive (CDI) in September 2018 (8 days total with travel days)
- Support schools in September and October 2018, co-teaching for at least one week in a middle school classroom
- As needed, carry out special projects or problem-solving as assigned by the Associate Director of Curriculum Design
A successful candidate will have:
- A master’s degree in education, specialization in curriculum design preferred
- Five or more years of relevant work experience
- Proven experience and deep expertise in teaching and learning, specifically literacy in the middle school grades
- A proven passion for and ability to marry the research base of the CCSS with best practices for middle school students
- Expertise preferred in one of the following areas: Universal Design for Learning, Special Education, English Language Learners
- Leadership experience
- Curriculum design expertise (backwards design, holding the big picture and purpose, assessment, project-based learning, addressing CCSS standards and “shifts”)
- Commitment to EL’s model of curriculum, instruction,assessment, and character development
- Familiarity with EL’s First Edition Grades 6-8 ELA curriculum preferred
- Extraordinary written and verbal communications skills (phone, email, in-person, video conference)
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and Google Suites
- Strong research skills
- A dynamic ability to manage complex tasks and tight deadlines independently and proactively
- An ability to analyze, critique, and creatively revise curriculum
- A keen eye for detail and ability to triage and problem-solve
- Outstanding writing and editing skills (particular to the “curriculum genre”) to be efficient, concise, sequential, and able to write and edit quickly with minimal supervision
- Strong self-motivation and self-management skills; an effective independent worker
- High efficacy, high flexibility, high self-awareness, and a sense of humor
- Ability to effectively collaborate flexibly in the virtual environment while working toward a common goal
- Commitment to self-reflection and a growth mindset as a member of a high-functioning team
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
The anticipated start date for this position is April 2018. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter (in MS Word or PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org and title the subject line of the email “Grade Level Lead Curriculum Designer - Grades 6-8 (Consultant)”.
In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL will respond only to final candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Minimum Education Required