70 East Lake Street
The Schools Organizer is responsible for our Homeless Education Committee and
for bringing together students and parents experiencing homelessness, as well as principals and
others who care about homelessness in the schools to change policies and laws that improve the
lives of students. This position also focuses on organizing in the Latinx community to build
power and grow CCH’s understanding of how homelessness impacts the Latinx community.
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless is a 38-year old systemic advocacy organization. CCH develops campaigns and initiatives to address the causes of homelessness - lack of affordable housing, lack of access to health care and services and lack of jobs paying a living wage. We place much emphasis on organizing and developing leaders within the homeless population to become spokespersons and leaders of our various initiatives. CCH does its work in accordance with its organizational values – collaboration, integrity, strategic action, compassion, and intersectionality.
- Staffing and maintaining the Homeless Education Committee.
- Building and maintaining strong core groups in the Chicago Public Schools (CPS) gradeschools and high schools and targeted Chicago-area colleges.
- Building and maintaining strong Latinx core groups in targeted schools and shelters.
- Developing leaders in all of the above bases.
- Working with the Education Committee to develop and staff strategic campaigns that will result in improvements in the lives of families experiencing homelessness in Chicago.
- Contributing to CCH’s community organizing training and broader organizational work.
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship-building and collaboration, are results-
oriented, who understand how to build power, and have strong project management skills.
* 3 to 5 years’ experience as a community organizer in a direct-action community
* Strong leadership development skills
* Ability to build strong relationships with diverse constituencies
* Strong project management skills
* Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
* Spanish language fluency
* Experience with running strategic issue campaigns
* Experience with school-based organizing * Experience as both a trainer and supervising interns
Salary range - $45,000-$49,000, depending on experience
Please send resume, and cover letter to: organizerPositions@chicagohomeless.org
The Chicago Coalition for the Homeless believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength and recognizes and values the intersectional identities that staff members bring to our organization. We are enriched by the diverse experiences, beliefs, and ways of thinking that employees of different backgrounds bring.
People of color and people who have experienced homelessness or poverty are strongly encouraged to apply. Fair consideration is given to all qualified applicants regardless of criminal record. CCH is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, sex, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry, military status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum Education Required