Details: Commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, exempt
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits
package including health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits
Transgender Law Center (TLC) is the largest national trans-led organization advocating self-determination for all people. Grounded in legal expertise and committed to racial justice, TLC employs a variety of community-driven strategies to keep transgender and gender nonconforming people alive, thriving, and fighting for liberation.
Based in our Oakland office, the HR Manager will partner with the Executive Director, Directors Team, and staff to create a positive, professional, and equitable work environment at Transgender Law Center. The HR Manager is responsible for the overall management of all Human Resources functions and duties, including developing and overseeing personnel policies, hiring processes, compliance audits and updates, employee relations, benefits administration, disciplinary processes, grievance resolution, salary administration, and training and development.
- Plan, develop and implement strategy for HR management and development including hiring, policy/practices, employee relations, training and development, benefits administration, personnel records, and performance management.
- Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee engagement and morale.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of labor law and assure agency compliance including providing direction to directors, managers, and staff to ensure they are fully informed of HR requirements, objectives, and plans.
- Coordinate the hiring of new staff members including recruitment, hiring, orientation and onboarding process.
- Working closely with organizational leadership, support an intentional development and maintenance of an organizational culture that serves the mission and strategy of the organization, including a process of monitoring and attending to staff morale.
- Administer complete benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, HRAs, EAP, retirement, life insurance, workers’ compensation, unemployment, vacation, sick leave and leaves of absence. Work with Finance department to monitor administrative costs of benefits programs and recommend cost containment strategies.
- Maintain open-door policy to cultivate supportive work environment for all employees.
- Handle complaints and grievances with awareness of when to refer to Executive Directors and/or Board.
- Work with directors and supervisors to solve personnel issues, problems, and procedures.
- Salary administration including updating salary ranges, conducting salary comparisons and working with directors and managers to implement changes.
- Administer semi-monthly payroll.
- Oversee development and implementation of safety and health programs.
- Conduct and/or coordinate any personnel-related investigations as appropriate and necessary.
- Oversee performance evaluation process ensuring timeliness and consistency.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of all human resources practices, policies and programs. Protect interests of the organization in accordance with human resource policies and governmental laws and regulations.
- Conduct employee exit interviews, complete appropriate forms and provide feedback to supervisors.
- Other duties as assigned
- Proven human resources skills and knowledge. Generally this would take a minimum of five years of experience in nonprofit human resources management to develop the skills and experience we are expecting. SPHR Certification desired but not required.
- Experience working with and supporting the management of marginalized populations.
- Experience working in teams with people from a variety of racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, religious, sexual, gender, and generational backgrounds.
- A demonstrated commitment to a broad range of social, racial, and economic justice issues.
- Demonstrable understanding of issues affecting constituencies of Transgender Law Center
- Knowledge and experience in organizational planning, organizational development, staff relations, staff safety, staff engagement, and staff development.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive while maintaining positive employee relationships in service to the mission.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Strong management and interpersonal skills.
- Good judgment to manage sensitive and confidential matters.
- Ability to organize and prioritize a complex work plan with ever-changing priorities.
- Experience with administering complex policies and procedures.
- Preferred: Experience working with immigrants, trans and gender non-conforming people, youth, and communities of color.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Transgender Law Center is proud to be an affirmative action employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or intersex are particularly urged to apply.
Benefits include vacation, holidays, full medical, dental, and vision benefits, matched pre-tax retirement savings, and eligibility to participate in a pre-tax flexible spending account (FSA).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume online at our job site (link is above). No emails or phone calls, please.