2211 East Jefferson Avenue
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice. We are now hiring an Administrative Assistant to work out of our Detroit, MI office.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Welcome members and visitors at the front desk by greeting, directing and announcing them appropriately.
· Provide administrative support including, but not limited to: answering phones, written correspondence and assisting in the preparation of reports, emails and proposals.
· Manage calendars, coordinate meetings and manage expense reports.
· Follow office procedures accurately, timely and consistently.
· Handle written and verbal communication with members and staff.
· Maintain current, accurate and easily accessible files.
· Assist with travel arrangements.
· Receive and sort daily mail and deliveries.
· Help ensure meetings are structured and thoroughly planned.
· Work closely with the Detroit City Director and Director of Operations.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Ability to professionally interact with members, vendors and other visitors.
· Knowledge of computer software (Word, Access, Excel, Google Drive).
· Strong attention to detail and the ability to organize, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
· Solid organizational skills and the ability to work independently to meet deadlines.
· Ability to make suggestions for improvement in policies and procedures.
· Strong communication skills including the ability to compose business correspondence.
· The ability to make and follow through timely on a work plan.
· The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
· Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
· A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
· Two years of experience and/or some college.
· Ability to occasionally work weekends or late hours.
· Second language a significant plus.
SALARY & BENEFITS
· Salary is competitive.
· Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
Local 1 is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBT community are especially encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter at: http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigcc8oty