Details: Salary is competitive.
1047 Amsterdam Avenue
Organization Overview: Episcopal Charities’ mission is transforming the lives of those in need. We provide critical funding and training to parish-affiliated outreach programs, equipping them for work that transforms lives and strengthens communities.
General Description: The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the continued development and maintenance of a new program matching volunteers with outreach programs run in conjunction with parishes in the Episcopal Diocese of New York. The goal is to promote outreach across the Diocese, enhance program services and sustainability, and build awareness of and ties to Episcopal Charities. The program includes all counties which make up the Episcopal Diocese of New York: Manhattan, Staten Island, the Bronx, and Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess, Ulster, and Sullivan Counties.
The work will include communicating with clergy and outreach program directors, identifying individual and group volunteer opportunities, recruiting and onboarding volunteers, designing contracts for skilled volunteers to completed specialized projects, tracking volunteer and parish engagement, organizing group service opportunities such as an annual Day of Service, and developing a marketing plan, as well as overseeing the daily operations of the volunteer program.
This is a full-time position and will include regular weekend and evening work.
1. Work with clergy and program directors to assess volunteer needs, identify individual and group volunteer opportunities, and design position descriptions
2. Work with clergy, youth and young adult ministers, and college chaplains to assess interest and design recruitment strategies
3. Develop and implement a marketing plan, including online and print communications materials and utilizing social media
4. Conduct in-person and online recruitment.
5. Maintain volunteer section of website, including regularly updating with new position descriptions and volunteer opportunities.
6. Coordinate and conduct orientation and training sessions.
7. Track applicants and volunteer hours served
8. Communicate with potential and on-going volunteers, providing support and guidance as needed
9. Organize volunteer appreciation and on-going reflection events to raise volunteers’ awareness about social issues and the role of the church and Episcopal Charities in addressing them.
10. Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experience:
1. Two to three years of experience in community organizing or non-profit settings, preferably in church-affiliated organizations
2. Strong verbal and written communications and presentation skills
3. Strong organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
4. Problem-solving and strategic thinking skills
5. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Apps, and Wordpress
6. Familiarity with social media platforms and their use in professional settings
7. Ability to take initiative and work both independently and as a member of a team
8. Interest in church-based outreach and social justice work
9. Cultural sensitivity and a commitment to inclusion, especially regarding race and class
10. Valid driver’s license desired
Generous benefits package includes health insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacation, and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter with the subject line "Volunteer Coordinator - Last Name, First Name" to Leeanna Varga, Director of Programs, at email@example.com.