Civic Influencers is a national nonpartisan nonprofit operating across the country, on and off campus, in local communities and states, that empowers young people to build their civic power and increase voting rates amongst their peers. They frame their work through an Organizing, Advocacy and Learning model that equips young people with the skills to dismantle barriers to voting while developing their identities as voters and participants in our democracy.
Reports to: Chief of Organizing, Advocacy & Learning
Classification: Full-time Exempt
Location: Remote work
Travel: Some travel required
Civic Influencers is seeking its Co-Chief, Organizing with relevant experience in leading and organizing young people to become civic leaders on campus and in their communities.
The Co-Chief, Organizing will apply their leadership skills to manage a portfolio of Organizers At-Large who are empowering and equipping young people in communities throughout Civic Influencers priority states and districts to connect and reconnect to the civic power grid. They will also help build and maintain partnerships with youth leaders and community partners across the nation.
Reporting to the Chief of Organizing, Advocacy & Learning, the subsequent tasks and duties will fall within the following buckets across the Organizing, Advocacy & Learning Department, including:
Programmatic Development & Management:
- In coordination with the Chief of Organizing, Advocacy & Learning, develop a national and statewide strategy to recruit Civic Influencers for multiple terms from communities within Civic Influencers key states and districts - with emphasis on young people that are predominantly BHIDYoC populations.
- Develop and maintain the standards and practices of Civic Influencers as an impactful, national institutional engagement program focused on changing the community climates to be voter friendly and facilitate youth civic power.
- Support state and Civic Influencers meetings and trainings to share knowledge and build community amongst Civic Influencers.
- Assist Civic Influencers in communities with implementing institutional projects and completing their Civic Influencers requirements.
- Help community leaders design and implement GOTV campaigns that target young people.
- Manage a group of Organizers At-Large across the Organizing, Advocacy & Learning Team to ensure all deliverables are being met and staff are supported programmatically and professionally.
- Develop and conduct annual, semester and Special Interest Group orientations, regular trainings and localized learning circles for youth and community leaders.
- Responsible for obtaining Memorandum of Agreement with key community partner organizations and groups in priority states.
- Help inform, develop and implement communications - both digitally and printed - to regularly connect with young people and community leaders.
- Draft briefing reports and presentations to stakeholders & donors that summarize key insights, trends and metrics.
Research, Surveys & Reporting
- Help design and conduct Election Engagement Assessments and establish reporting and feedback systems.
- Track and record Civic Influencers progress via Airtable, Google Sheets and SalesForce.
- Participate in weekly staff and programmatic meetings to update the Civic Influencers team of progress within priority states.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science or Public Policy, a related field or equivalent experience.
- 6+ years experience working with a civic engagement organization or equivalent experience (e.g. campaign work, youth outreach, voter registration, etc.).
- Capable of building and sustaining relationships with a variety of individuals and organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage strategic planning while being able to respond to short-term organizational needs.
- Demonstrated proficiency in supervising and motivating organizers (e.g, youth, faculty, community partners).
- Proactive self-starter and strong creative with the ability to develop, conceptualize and execute events, both virtual (via Zoom) and in-person.
- Proficient on Google Suite, including Google Sheets and Google Slides.
- Working knowledge of AirTable, Salesforce and Slack is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills; including the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with other staff, partner organizations, elected and appointed officials, corporate/business representatives, and community members.
- Commitment to transparency, accountability, and direct communication.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage highly sensitive, confidential information using excellent judgment at all times.
- Must have a commitment to DEI and cultural competency, including an awareness of one's own cultural worldview, a welcoming attitude towards cultural differences, an appreciative knowledge of different cultural practices and worldviews, and cross-cultural skills.
- Experience working in a movement organization, including ones focused on Voting Rights, Social Justice, Civil Rights or Youth.
- Experience working in politics.
- Experience working with or within a higher education institution, People of Color Serving Institutions (PoCSIs, e.g., HSIs and HBCUs a plus).
- Fluent in multiple languages, Spanish preferred.
- Must complete data visualization and data gathering trainings hosted by Tableau, and other trainings as required.
- Extremely reliable and available on evenings and weekends for occasional events and conferences.
Start date: for immediate consideration.
Civic Influencers is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or class. We value diversity on our team and strongly encourage people of color, Indigenous people, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities and all qualified persons to apply for our open positions.