Events Associate (Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose)
- Job posted by Californians for Justice Education Fund, Inc.
Details: Approximately $45,500-54,500 (paid hourly), depending on experience and qualifications.
Californians for Justice is a statewide grassroots organization working for racial justice by building the power of youth, communities of color, immigrants, low-income families, and LGBQ and T/GNC communities. Led by students, we organize to advance educational justice and improve our social, economic, and political conditions.
CFJ is a unique and exciting organization. We are the only grassroots organization in California that organizes youth to have a voice in both local and statewide education policy. Our campaign and policy reform goals at the local and statewide levels include adequate and equitable school funding, increased access and success in K-12 and higher education, and ending the “school-to-prison pipeline.” Our recent victories include winning almost $30 million to improve school climate and engagement in California in 2018, a requirement for districts to include student input in school budgeting through our Student Voice Campaign in 2014, and the passage of the historic Local Control Funding Formula in 2013. CFJ currently has four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland and San Jose, 25 full-time equivalent staff and a budget of $2.5 million. CFJ is a great place to work. We value outcomes, process, and relationships, and actively work to make sure our staff have the skills and support to do their jobs well.
The Events Associate has two key roles. They ensure that all Californians for Justice (CFJ) events run smoothly and efficiently, from statewide and regional campaign events to fundraising and donor engagement events, staff retreats, and board meetings. They also provide key events and administrative support to Youth Organize! California Network, a statewide network of grassroots youth organizations co-led by Californians for Justice and the Movement Strategy Center. The Events Associate also plays a support role on the CFJ Development and Operations teams.
The Events Associate reports to CFJ’s Development & Project Director and works with multiple staff at CFJ to coordinate events. They also report to Youth Organize! California staff on Youth Organize! California activities. The position is full-time (40 hours a week) and non-exempt.
Youth Organize! California Event Logistics & Administrative Support (25-50%, depending on the time of year)
- Lead event logistics and administrative support for approximately 3 retreats and 3 youth organizing institutes and actions around the state annually
- Participate in Youth Organize! California staff team and steering committee meetings related to retreats and events, as needed
- Work with Youth Organize! California staff, partner organizations and affiliated individuals to review and submit reimbursement and check requests, partner agreements, vendor contracts, release forms, and other administrative documents.
Californians for Justice Event Logistics & Administrative Support (25-50%, depending on the time of year)
- Coordinate logistics for all CFJ events, including but not limited to statewide and regional campaign events, student leadership development events (for example annual Student Leadership Retreat, Summer Youth Leadership Academy, and WAVY summit), fundraising and donor engagement events, staff retreats, and board meetings.
- Collaborate closely with staff event leads to integrate logistics with programming and ensure high quality events.
- Responsibilities include: create logistics timelines and budgets; book event locations and arrange housing; arrange transportation for all staff and participants; coordinate food and materials and work with vendors; and other tasks as needed
- Support Development Team and/or Operations Team
- Provide ongoing administrative support
- Work on special projects as needed
- Experience coordinating events
- Enthusiasm for leveraging events to engage people in CFJ's community
- Strong project management skills including ability to design work plans, manage multiple tasks and deadlines, and coordinate with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to “manage up” to colleagues to get what you need to get your work done
- Ability to work in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel
- Resourcefulness, troubleshooting, and problem solving abilities
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well independently and in cooperation with others
- Strong commitment to racial and educational justice
- Ability to travel at least once a month within California to coordinate events
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- California driver’s license, insurance, and regular and reliable access to a car.
- Nonprofit experience
- Knowledge of Mac operating systems and software
The position will be located in one of CFJ’s four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Approximately $45,500-54,500 (paid hourly), depending on experience and qualifications. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least 20 hours/week and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/gender nonconforming, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least 20 hours/week and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Events Associate – Your Name.”