The Studio Museum in Harlem has earned an international reputation as a leader in the contemporary arts arena with its groundbreaking role in promoting the work of artists of African descent.
The Curatorial Assistant, Permanent Collection will work in the areas of research, planning and organization of exhibitions.
The Curatorial Assistant, Permanent Collection will work closely with permanent collection curator(s) on:
- Research on collection artists and works of art, as well as potential acquisitions and gifts
- Exhibition research and administration, including preparing loan requests; assisting in the preparation of checklists and didactic materials; and liaising with other departments on installation, catalogue production, etc.
- Reviewing, cataloguing and conditioning works of art
- Acquisition Committee meetings
- Maintenance of the collection and its related files
- Serve as the curatorial point person to expand the collection’s presence on the website
- Manage all rights and reproductions requests
- Answer queries from both the general public and scholars regarding the permanent collection
- Oversee the exhibition history spreadsheet and the loan log
- Manage all aspects of the collection’s inventory in The Museum System (TMS) database, including cataloguing object details, loans, provenance, appraisals, and exhibition history
- Assist with general departmental administration, including scheduling and budgeting
- Additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History or a related field
- Strong background in mid-century and contemporary art by artists of African descent
- Familiarity with databases, including The Museum System (TMS)
- Proficiency with Microsoft 365 and Adobe Photoshop
- Experience working in a museum or cultural organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Please note that while careful consideration will be given to each submission, the Museum will only be able to contact those applicants whose knowledge, skills and work experience best fit the requirements of the position. No phone calls or faxes please.
The Studio Museum in Harlem is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, gender identification, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Cover letter that summarizes the applicant’s most relevant work experience; educational background and familiarity with art by artists of African descent; and the candidate’s sense of their own potential contribution to the Museum and its mission
- Two writing samples focusing on artists of African descent or artworks by an artist of African descent
- The names, titles, and contact information of three professional references able to speak to the candidate’s skills, experience, character and commitment