The Communications & Fundraising Manager will be an integral part of the Future of Fish team – building the foundation for long term sustainability of the organization through consistent messaging, strategic networking, and impactful storytelling of our mission, work, and partnerships. The position is ideal for a highly motivated individual with strong communication skills who is passionate about making an impact.
This role is responsible for executing the organizational communications strategy through production of multimedia content, outreach to journalists, and collaboration with team members and partners. This role includes oversight of the web site and all social media as well as leading campaigns and managing individual giving, a new revenue area for the organization. The goal of this position is to produce media that tells a consistent and compelling story that strengthens the brand impact of the organization.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
You are a communications generalist seeking an opportunity to make an impact with your everyday work. With knowledge of the key elements of online and offline communications, you like working in a collaborative work environment and are looking for an opportunity where you can own and develop your communications and fundraising skills. You want to work as part of an international and diverse team of co-workers who care about our planet, and you are seeking a position where you wake up every morning excited to come to work.
You are an excellent written and verbal communicator and have experience working with digital media, presentation preparation, online community building and media relations. You are proficient with leveraging technology to effectively and efficiently accomplish your goals and comfortable working across a full range of communication and outreach tasks from planning to presentation development to media outreach. You are an action oriented individual, skilled multi-tasker, creative problem solver and collaborative team player who is not afraid to try something new.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In addition to the above considerations, the responsibilities of Communications & Fundraising Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Execute communications strategy including schedule, budget, and content to articulate Future of Fish’s values, services, expertise, project impacts and to expand our audience and connections for these messages.
- Lead the development and execution of all awareness and fundraising campaigns, including individual donor management.
- Manage the FoF database “Bloomerang”
- Maintain FoF branding including visual standards, verbal consistency, and accurate and just storytelling guidelines.
- Recognize communications opportunities and challenges, analyze data and use it to inform strategy and execution.
- Support the Global Communications Team in building FoF and maintaining cohesive brand consistency in the two new regional offices, Peru and Chile.
- Identify, coordinate and arrange opportunities for FoF to network and share our work.
- Research, cultivate, and maintain networks for content generation and sharing, such as relationships with journalists, relevant platforms, and partnerships within the NGO community.
- Streamline processes within your projects and team to be efficient, effective, and energized.
- Utilize organizational project management tools and establish check in processes to manage, track, communicate, and move project work forward, such as maintaining the Communications and campaign calendars and tasks in Asana.
- Management of contractors and volunteers as required of projects.
- Other duties as assigned
Content Generation and Management
- Maintain strong internal communication lines and regular check-ins with the global team to support and refine external communications.
- Support and encourage staff to contribute to communications content.
- Gather story suggestions and content from Future of Fish team for social media and blog posts
- Ensure staff understand and utilize key language, templates, and stakeholder guidelines in their communications
- Light design work using Photoshop, InDesign, Canva or other software of choice
- Refresh, maintain, and utilize FoF branded templates including reporting, presenting, and collateral templates.
- Design, develop content, and distribute content across media channels including: Social media, e-blasts, monthly newsletters, websites and blog posts.
Business Development Support
- Support verbal and visual alignment for grant applications and funder outreach.
- Support development of key relationships and networks for BD.
- Provide grant application writing and editing as needed.
Internal Communications and Staff Communications Support
- Support internal communications such as updates, dashboard maintenance, etc as needed.
- Support staff generation of reports and program deliverables including copy-editing and report formatting as needed.
- Assist in drafting slide decks, pitches, presentations and other documents as needed.
As a small but mighty team, all staff are expected to provide support as needed to meet organizational goals, deadlines, and values.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience)
- 3-5 years of work experience
- Alignment with and interest in furthering Future of Fish’s mission and values. Interest in sustainable seafood, community development, and ocean issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Expert/native level English and Advanced Spanish.
- Skilled storyteller and proven ability to communicate impact.
- Good interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with coworkers, prospects and partners. High level of professionalism, collaborative spirit, and a positive attitude.
- Solid understanding of people management and not for profit communications, fundraising and development.
- Adept at using various applications including databases, spreadsheets, report writing, project management, social media platforms, word processing, presentation creation/editing including office software such as Microsoft Office or G: Suite.
- Experience leading multiple projects simultaneously and managing contractors and peers to budget, deadline, and deliverables.
- Someone who enjoys working independently and takes initiative, has ability and interest to learn on one’s own.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Have worked for an international organization with offices in multiple countries or other cross-cultural work experience.
- Basic design skills (Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign) a plus but not a requirement.
- Previous experience identifying creative opportunities for marketing, including speaking engagements and virtual platforms.