The Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids’ (CTFK) Vice President, State Advocacy oversees the development and execution of the organization’s state and local advocacy agenda. This position reports to the Executive Vice President, US Programs and is responsible for overseeing Regional Advocacy Directors who manage lobbying and policy campaigns in the states. The VP position is open to candidates throughout the Unites States. The Vice President must be available to travel to and work in the D.C. office three days a month.
- Direct CTFK’s strategy on state tobacco control policy.
- Manage the day-to-day work and long-term strategy of the State and Local department; prioritize the work of the department,and represent the department with stakeholders.
- Oversee the Regional Advocacy Directors, experienced advocacy professionals working in offices across the nation.
- Direct and coordinate the work of the State Team with other departments to integrate strategies and activities.
- Lead coordination with partner organizations on state issues, including public health groups and others interested in tobacco control.
- Actively participate on the US Programs management team.
- Play an active role in fundraising; working with the leadership and Development Dept. to craft proposals, meet with foundations and prospective donors, and execute on innovative advocacy programs.
- Assist in building grassroots support for priority federal issues.
- Act as the Campaign’s spokesperson to media on state-level issues.
- Represent the Campaign at national conferences, and
- Accomplish other duties as assigned by the EVP US Programs.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years’ state legislative and/or issue advocacy experience.
- At least five (5) years’ experience managing advocates/lobbyists, preferably experience managing professional staff working remotely.
- Experience leading ballot question and/or candidate campaigns.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of a wide range of tobacco issues.
- Extensive knowledge of state legislative processes.
- Experience with fundraising and donor cultivation.
- Ability to think innovatively about strategy, tactics, deploying resources and building teams.
- Experience working with the media and public speaking.
- Knowledge of state legislative issues; familiarity with state tobacco control policy preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s preferably in a related field,
- Travel is required; up to approximately one week trip per month.
How to Apply
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample and note salary expectation to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the position code VPSA: 03 in the subject line of your email. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.