29-76 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City
Title: Medical Director/Addiction Psychiatrist
Unit: Treatment Services & Better Living Center
Reports to: Associate Vice President of Behavioral Health
Status: Full-Time/Regular/Non-exempt (Split Position)
Job Code: S211
Location: Fortune Society - Long Island City; and, Mt. Sinai Hospital – New York, NY
Date Prepared: July 10, 2018
Founded in 1967, The Fortune Society’s vision is to create a world where all who are incarcerated or formerly incarcerated can become positive, contributing members of society. We do this through a holistic, one stop model of service provision.
Our continuum of care, informed and implemented by professionals with cultural backgrounds and life experiences similar to those of our client, helps ensure their success. Fortune serves approximately 6,000 men and women annually via three (3) New York City locations: Long Island City, Queens; Fortune Academy “the Castle”; and Castle Gardens West Harlem. Our program models are recognized, both nationally and internationally, for their quality and innovation.
Job Share Opportunity: This 2-day per week position may be functionally paired with a separate 3-day per week position offered by Mt. Sinai Hospital, yielding an effective full-time position. For details regarding the position at the Mt. Sinai Hospital, please follow this link https://careers.mountsinai.org/jobs/180000FK?lang=en-us. Candidates may be employed in this role as a stand-alone position, however.
As the Medical Director of Fortune’s two behavioral health clinics: an Article-32/822 OASAS-licensed chemical dependence substance abuse clinic, and an Article-31 OMH-licensed mental health clinic. He/she will be responsible for all medical aspects of treatment in both clinics; will conduct initial psychiatric evaluations and ongoing medication management appointments; provide supervision to a psychiatric nurse practitioner in the Article-31 clinic, and sign treatment plans as may be necessary.
Behavioral Health at Fortune:
Fortune Society believes that helping clients achieve and maintain behavioral health is critically important to its mission. To that end, it maintains two state-licensed clinics, both located at the main Long Island City site, as well as satellite clinic located in Harlem.
The NYS-Office of Mental Health licensed Article 31 outpatient clinic (“Better Living Center”) has a staff of 3.5 full time clinical social workers plus supervisors and support staff. A psychiatric nurse practitioner is being actively recruited to partially carry the service delivery load of the current psychiatrist. The clinic’s average census equals approximately 140 cases, but is expected to grow both in its current location, and also via establishing a satellite clinic at Fortune’s Harlem location. Clients range widely in age, but are mostly under 30 years of age. Diagnosis also vary widely.
The NYS-Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services licensed Article 32/822 chemical dependence outpatient clinic (“Treatment Services”) has a staff of 6.5 full time counselors (CASAC and LMSW), 3 full time group counselors, and associated supervisors and support staff. Treatment is currently limited to non-medication interventions. Case management staff locate appropriate detox or residential programs for client referral when appropriate. A satellite clinic already exists at Fortune’s Harlem facility. The current census at the primary clinic equals approximately 175 cases. A substantial portion are mandated clients through court Alternative to Incarceration program. Similar to the Better Living Center, client ages vary, but are mostly under 30 years of age.
Article 32/ 822 Clinic
· Conduct initial psychiatric evaluations of clients referred by treatment team; make recommendations based upon evaluations, and document findings in electronic health record system.
· Conduct follow-up psychiatric appointments as may be appropriate.
· Assist in arranging for client detoxification and/or hospitalization as necessary.
· Ensure program’s compliance with all relevant OASAS medical regulations, and monitor program operation to ensure medical risk management
· Present in-service training for staff on psychopharmacology, addiction, mental health and other relevant topics.
· Be available resource to staff during development of client treatment plans, and make recommendations as may be appropriate.
· Sign third party billing documentation.
· Other duties as assigned.
Article 31 Clinic
- Perform initial psychiatric evaluations and assessments at time of intake and when otherwise necessary;
- Provide ongoing psychotropic medication treatment as appropriate; ability required to prescribe utilizing electronic prescribing according to NYS law;
- Provide supervision to Psychiatric NP;
· Present in-service training for staff on psychopharmacology, mental health, addiction and other relevant topics.
- Participate in crisis intervention as needed;
- Provide internal and external referrals;
- Review treatment plans for staff social workers.
- Document psychiatric treatment in accordance with OMH regulations utilizing the agency’s electronic health record (EHR);
- Attend case conferences; and
- Perform other related duties as needed.
- Graduate of an approved medical school with current and valid NYS MD license;
- Must be board eligible in Psychiatry; Board certification in addiction sub-specialties or grandfathering qualifications is also required;
- Minimum of Six (6) years of experience in clinical psychiatry
- Strong documentation and analytical skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Experience working with clients, at-risk youth and other disenfranchised populations is a plus;
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs and database case management systems; and
- We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
This position may require infrequent travel to and from Fortune Society’s LIC and Harlem offices. The candidate will not be expected to travel between Fortune Society and Mt. Sinai Hospital in the same day.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Job Share Opportunity: This 2-day per week position may be functionally paired with a separate 3-day per week position offered by Mt. Sinai Hospital, yielding an effective full-time position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online at: