Details: Salary DOE; includes generous benefits package.
3489 W 72nd Avenute
RMIAN is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing free immigration legal services to individuals in immigration detention and to children. RMIAN has an immediate opening for a two-year Attorney Fellowship in RMIAN’s Detention Program.
As a part of a larger initiative to increase justice for detained immigrants, the Immigration Detention Legal Fellow will represent immigrants in civil immigration detention in Aurora, Colorado, working to ensure due process and equal access to justice in a system that has no right to court-appointed counsel. The Fellow will have a full caseload of clients before the Aurora Immigration Court, representing clients in bond hearings, full merits cases, parole requests, credible fear proceedings, and possible appeals before the Board of Immigration Appeals. The Fellow will work collaboratively with colleagues and community partners on outreach, education, and advancing the movement for universal representation for individuals in immigration detention.
- Admission to any state bar
- Experience in immigration law, preferably in removal defense and with detained populations
- Spanish fluency – both written & oral, and demonstrated cultural competency
- Strong sense of personal initiative, commitment to and understanding of working with clients in detention, ability to multi-task and work well under pressure, and interest in creative lawyering
- Passion for RMIAN’s mission and demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Excellent oral & written communication skills, as well as legal research skills
- Commitment to engaging with community members, partners, and stakeholders
- Public speaking ability and ease in explaining immigration law to a wide variety of audiences
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish fluency, both written and oral, and demonstrated cultural competency.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a detailed cover letter, resume, writing sample, and list of three professional references to email@example.com. Early submission highly encouraged.
RMIAN is an equal opportunity employer and recognizes the importance of diversity in the workplace; individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Visit us at www.rmian.org