557 McReynolds Rd
The Bay Area Discovery Museum seeks an enthusiastic, motivated, and outgoing Front Desk Assistant to welcome our guests and assist with their entry into the Museum. If you have customer service experience -- such as in a retail, restaurant, or museum setting -- and believe in our mission to inspire creative problem solving for all children, then we invite you to apply!
Front Desk Assistants are the museum’s first point of contact with visitors and are a crucial part of onsite visitor experience. As the face of BADM, Front Desk Assistants are responsible for greeting customers, ringing admission sales, promoting museum memberships, and sharing information about programs - all while maintaining BADM’s high customer service standards. This position will also have the opportunity to aid administrative and special event projects across departments of the museum.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Assistant Manager of Membership and Admission. The starting pay is $15 per hour and the current schedule available is Saturdays and Sundays, with the option to work additional hours on some Mondays and as needed to cover scheduled time off.
- Uphold BADM’s customer service standards; greet and engage all visitors (including members, guests, and groups) with a friendly, helpful tone.
- Maintain a friendly and professional demeanor and resolve guest issues calmly while working in a hectic and vibrant environment; report areas of ongoing concern to Assistant Manager of Membership and Admission.
- Perform cashier duties and Front Desk opening and closing procedures while ensuring the proper handling of cash and sales receipts.
- Promote and sell Museum memberships and programs.
- Answer visitor and member inquiries via telephone.
- Maintain clean and tidy Front Desk, including guest queues, ticketing areas, and related spaces, to provide a safe and inviting atmosphere in the entry area.
- Manage organization of lost and found items.
- Assist with administrative tasks including, but not limited to inputting daily membership sales, fulfilling memberships, and restocking supplies and merchandise.
- Participate in procedures to respond to emergencies.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; positive, energetic, and friendly demeanor
- A minimum of 1 year visitor services experience required, preferably in a fast-paced, customer facing environment.
- Proficient experience with cash handling and point of sale or ticketing systems preferred, experience with Altru a plus.
- Desire to work independently, collaboratively as part of a team, and cooperatively with other museum departments to ensure an integrated guest experience.
- Reliability and a self-starter attitude; initiative to seek out work during slow business times.
- Capable of maintaining focus and positive, professional demeanor while serving large numbers of visitors.
- Basic computer literacy, experience with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Ability to positively accept direction and complete tasks with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- English proficiency required; bilingual skills an asset (Spanish or Cantonese preferred).
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. BADM provides 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance to all full-time employees, as well as generous paid time off starting at 4 weeks per year. In addition, we offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through BADM’s Center for Childhood Creativity.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
Level of Language Proficiency
English proficiency required; bilingual skills an asset (Spanish or Cantonese preferred).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should apply online at:
Please be prepared to provide both a resume and cover letter, which will be requested in two different steps of the application process.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position.