ABOUT THE SHED: Scheduled to open in early 2019 on the west side of Manhattan where the High Line meets Hudson Yards, The Shed will be the first multi-arts center designed to commission, produce, and present all types of performing arts, visual arts, and popular culture. From hip hop to classical music, visual art to literature, film to theater and dance, with collaborations across these disciplines and others, we will bring together leading artists from all art forms under one roof. The Shed will be driven by experimentation, innovation, and collaboration.
The Shed will be a place of significant cultural and societal impact, where the world’s leading artists and creative minds can make art that helps forge tomorrow’s world, and where audiences from all walks of life can experience this art together.
For more information, see: http://www.theshed.org
The Shed seeks a Special Events Manager to plan, execute, and manage external rental events, internal events and fundraisers. The Special Events Manager will consult with internal and external clients to help plan their events including preparing estimates, organizing site visits with vendors and clients, collecting deposits and final payments, signing off on invitations, conducting walk-through’s with internal staff (Security, Operations, Production, Programming), writing work orders, ordering and managing vendors, scheduling deliveries and coordinating logistics with internal departments, arranging seating, assigning event hosts, and maintaining and tracking event payments.
The ideal candidate has a track record of success in event planning and fundraising. S/he must have familiarity with the landscape of the New York City events industry, including an understanding of venue management, vendor coordination, budgeting, and operational protocol for planning and producing events. Experience planning events within a cultural venue is a plus.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supports the Director in the execution of all pre-opening and opening events (on-site at The Shed and off-site) including cultivation events, stewardship activities, VIP access opportunities, fundraising occasions, galas and parties.
- Plans, executes and manages ongoing events inclusive of The Shed’s internal events and major fundraisers, external rentals, and programming opening events.
- Prepares customized rental estimates based on varying budgets and specified needs.
- Responds to multiple rental inquiries on daily basis.
- Tracks and updates rental inquiries weekly.
- Coordinates internal programming celebrations, coordinate directly with artistic and development teams to ensure expectations and goals are being met.
- Solicits rental clients through monthly e-blast, emails and phone calls.
- Negotiates estimates and contracts with clients and vendors.
- Orders and schedules vendors such as caterers, florists, musicians, and coordinates logistics and deliveries for all internal special events.
- Writes work orders in coordination with Security, Operations and Production.
- Works closely with Security and Operations before and during event.
- Organizes site visits and meetings and writes meeting agendas.
- Tracks rental payments including deposits and final payments.
- Assists with seating and escort cards for all Shed fundraisers.
- Guides vendors on how and where to work in the space.
- Guides rental clients on what works best for events in The Shed, including ensuring clients requests stay within special event guidelines/policies.
- Manages and assigns event staffing.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum of 3-5 years relevant event management experience or equivalent
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a highly motivated, energetic team
- Meticulous attention to detail and highest quality execution in all situations
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
- Must maintain the highest level of ethics and integrity
- Excellent computer skills necessary, including EXCEL, Word, Office and Google Platform
- Able to work flexible work schedule to accommodate business needs
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name. All submissions should be emailed to HR@THESHED.ORG with “Special Events Manager” in the subject line. Only resumes and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
The Shed is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.