Details: 100% FTE. Salary is $70-80K, depending on experience.
436 14th Street
About Movement Strategy Center (MSC)
Movement Strategy Center understands that transformative movements change the way we think, our structures and systems, the way we live, and even who we are. In this moment of extraordinary challenge, our world needs people and movements who are ready to stretch the boundaries of what anyone has imagined we can do. MSC works with individuals, teams, networks, and alliances, in partnership with a broader Transitions Community, to deepen and accelerate the transition from a world of domination and extraction to a world of resilience, regeneration, and interdependence.
The HR Generalist is responsible for the day-to-day management of HR operations, which means he/she will manage the administration of the policies, procedures and programs of the organization. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: employee relations, training, onboarding, policy implementation, recruitment/employment, benefit administration and employment law compliance. The HR Generalist will work as part of the Personnel & Compliance team, and will report to HR & Compliance Director.
- Partner with and support managers and fiscally sponsored project directors in the recruitment process: JD and classification review, provides responses to the questions related to employment.
- Maintains all employee and applicant documentation as required by law.
- Processes hiring request: intake, communication with managers/fiscally sponsored project directors, issues offer letter, new employee orientation, data entry into Paycom. Maintains good communication with the Benefit Specialist about onboarding new employees.
- Processes employee terminations: conducts exit interviews, final checks processing/distribution, Paycom data maintenance. Maintains good communication with the Benefit Specialist about employee terminations.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations.
Employee Relations (20%)
- Responds to employee relation issues such as employee complaints, harassment allegations, in consultation with the Director. Escalates sensitive/risky cases to the Director.
- Manages and tracks all employee disciplinary action.
- Reports, maintains and monitors all workers' compensation case files; follows-up on open cases.
- Acts as an employee relations specialist: fields inquiries from fiscally sponsored project directors, resolves general inquiries and escalates complex cases to the Director.
- Manages semi-monthly payroll process: processes payroll update requests, updates payroll records, creates payroll files, runs payroll with the Director approval. Keeps the Director informed about any issues/concerns.
- Manages temporary and seasonal weekly payroll process: processes payroll update requests, updates payroll records, creates payroll files, runs payroll with the Director approval. Keeps the Director informed about any issues/concerns.
- Manages and maintains state registrations with support from the Assistant - UI and Withholding account setup & password management. Conducts occasional audit of active/non-active states, and stay in communication with Paycom.
- Manages the processing of IRS & state withholding and garnishment orders, audits, and employment verification requests for employees, with support from the Assistant.
Benefits Administration (5%)
- Maintains and processes all Unemployment Notices of Entitlement and potential charges in a timely, efficient manner. Attends unemployment hearings when necessary.
- Processes and administers all leave-of-absence requests and disability paperwork: medical, personal, disability and FMLA. Coordinates employee payments with EDD or other state agencies.
Data Maintenance (5%)
- Maintains and performs quality checks of personnel data in the HRIS (Paycom) to ensure accuracy.
- Conducts occasional audit of personnel files to ensure completeness.
- Participates in developing team goals, objectives and systems.
- Manages annual Workers’ Comp audit process.
- Other duties as assigned.
Currently does not supervise other employees.
Position Type/Expected hours of work
This is a 100% FTE exempt position. Standard days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Daily schedule is flexible within this time frame, and will be decided in consultation with the supervisor.
No significant travel expected. Occasional domestic travel may be required for meetings and conferences.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
MSC’s 100% FTE benefits package includes:
- 20 days vacation leave per year;
- 12 standard holidays and 2 personal days per year;
- 12 sick days per year;
- 1 week paid MSC family and medical leave after one year of service; an additional week of paid leave for each additional year of service, up to 4 weeks;
- Medical, vision, dental for employees and dependents (requires 30 day waiting period and a per paycheck employee contribution);
- 100% employer sponsored basic life, short-term and long-term disability insurance coverage;
- Access to a 403b retirement plan.
- Access to FSA and Commuter Benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in human resources or related field of study, or equivalent work experience;
- Five to seven years of experience in human resource generalist role;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written;
- Ability to switch between detail-intensive data processing and relationship-based interaction with ease;
- Ability to manage and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously;
- Ability to handle diverse challenges with a calm demeanor and positive outlook and be oriented towards excellence in service;
- Excellent computer skills: Knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) and Online Payroll platforms, adept in Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite, etc.;
- Dedication to social justice;
- An orientation towards learning and development; willing to learn from mistakes, receive feedback, and give feedback to others.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and list of references to email@example.com.
The position will remain open until filled. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
No phone calls please.
Movement Strategy Center is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.