AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include immersion-based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
Duration – July through October
AFS-USA manages several programs of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the U.S. Department of State (ECA), providing scholarships for adolescents to participate in international exchange, one of which is the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program www.yesprograms.org. The Sponsored Programs department at AFS focuses on maintaining relationships with the funder (ECA) and other grantees and incorporating sponsored programs into overall AFS programming. The Sponsored Programs Logistics Assistants (SPLA) will work most closely with the Sponsored Programs Travel Assistants (SPTA) and the YES Program team.
Core responsibilities of the role include coordination of all planning and logistical arrangements for several large-scale summer YES student arrival events, as well as providing assistance with other event logistics, as time permits. The incumbent will coordinate with team members, students and volunteers to coordinate event logistics in coordination with the Travel Assistant. The SPLA will report to the Inbound Sponsored Programs manager.
Primary responsibilities include
· Manage all on-site logistics including coordination with the hotel, coordination with SPTA, room reservations and attendee lists, organization of all volunteer duties and assignments
· Maintain accurate student, volunteer and staff lists and information
· Data entry and report generation
· Responsible for coordinating all logistics-related tasks and events at arrival sites
· Deliver on-site logistics training for volunteers
· Create hotel volunteer schedules and oversee all volunteer tasks while on-site in coordination with SPTA
· Troubleshoot hotel-related issues
· Coordinate with travel staff to maintain accurate information and assistance regarding student name lists, rooming lists, group lists.
· Coordinating all overnight, meal, and room accommodations, including last minute needs due to travel changes
· Coordinate ground travel and bus transportation as necessary
· Communicate last minute placement/travel changes to respective students and other relevant parties
· Providing general troubleshooting expertise
· Other responsibilities as assigned
· Length of Engagement: end of June – October
· The Sponsored Programs Logistics Assistant works in AFS-USA’s NYC office (preferred), U.S. remote considered. Office hours are 9:00-5:00 pm.
· Requires travel up to 25% time and work on nights and weekends
SALARY AND BENEFIT:
This position pays an hourly rate of $18/hour. To be considered for the position a cover letter and resume must be submitted.
· Bachelor's degree preferred in fields such as International Relations or Education
· Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
· Proven ability to multitask and prioritize ongoing responsibilities
· Excellent organizational and time-management skills
· Keen attention to detail in all forms, especially written
· Ability to work independently with multiple deadlines in a fast-paced, fluid environment
· Experience or a high level of comfort in an intercultural setting
· Ability to maintain calm under pressure
· Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Word and Excel
· Travel experience preferred
· Ability to travel to Washington, D.C. and/or New York City
· Available end of June through October
It is the policy AFS-USA to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law) predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation.
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to…