250 Baltic Street
Families First is seeking new leadership to guide the organization and continue its core mission as a non-profit family and early-education center. The new director will shape the center’s programming and classes, and engage with teachers, donors, community members, and board members to ensure the work and growth of the organization is continued. Working with the Board of Directors, this new leader will ensure smooth operations in all areas, including staff development and oversight, special events, fundraising and membership, financial management, marketing and public relations, and will successfully operate and carry out our mission and strategic plans.
Families First has been serving the Cobble Hill, Brooklyn community for nearly 30 years. We provide play spaces, drop in classes, and a Practically Preschool program that is an affordable bridge to preschool and pre-K. Our holiday parties and Spring Carnival are tent pole events for our members and families of small children in the wider community. We are looking for an engaged, passionate director who will carry on our mission while working with our small staff, as well as conceive and implement strategic plans and fundraising to position us strongly for the future.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Hire, train and supervise Program Associate, teachers, staff. In conjunction with the Board of Directors, ensure adequate staffing plans for all areas.
- Develop and implement a Strategic Plan in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
- Lead registration, prepare calendars, oversee curriculum for classes and staff for drop-in courses.
- Lead a comprehensive, year-round fundraising program. Manage and expand current activities in the areas of grants, corporate sponsorships, special events, annual fundraiser, and individual donor campaigns, including expansion of major gifts. Develop overall fundraising plans and goals with the Board of Directors.
- Oversee organization marketing and public relations plans. Ensure consistent and accurate communication of our mission, support fundraising events and reach potential supporters through use of all relevant media including press, email blasts and newsletters, social media, annual reports and collateral materials.
- Maintain computers and system updates (along with freelance IT consultant); maintain Families First’s database of contacts, current and former members.
- Update Families First website with new information about events, classes, programming, school closures.
- Handle teacher requests, supply inventory and purchasing.
- Oversee financial management operations, including: developing the annual operating budget for presentation to the Board of Directors and monitoring revenue and expense, cash flow, and accounts receivable/payable on a monthly basis in collaboration with the Board Treasurer and bookkeeper. Ensure the Board of Directors receives monthly financial statements and cash flow reports.
- Present Director’s Report of all organization activities at Board of Director meetings. Develop and maintain a strong Board of Directors; build board involvement.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The ED will be thoroughly committed to the mission of Families First and feel comfortable rolling up their sleeves and working in an environment that revolves around small children and their caregivers. All candidates should have proven leadership, education and relationship management experience.
Specific requirements include:
· Master’s Degree in early education or administration, with at least 2 years of management and a strong background in curriculum and professional development
- Excellent fundraising track record with the ability to continue cultivating current supporters and identify new prospects and avenues for development
- Experience hiring and managing part-time staff
- Budget management expertise
- Ability to work in CMS such as Joomla, update website, create new events and pages
- Strong marketing and public relations background with the ability to engage a wide range of supporters
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: a persuasive communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and CV.