Full Time Contract
Position: Human Rights Trainer/Educator
Location: Southeast Asia
Contract: 1 year, renewable
Start Date: As soon as possible
Compensation: Competitive with benefits
Fortify Rights works to ensure and defend human rights for all. We investigate human rights abuses, engage stakeholders, and strengthen initiatives led by human rights defenders, affected communities, and civil society. We believe in the influence of evidence-based research, the power of strategic truth telling, and the importance of working in close collaboration with individuals, communities, and movements pushing for change. Fortify Rights is an independent, nonprofit organization based in Southeast Asia and registered in the United States and Switzerland.
The Human Rights Trainer/Educator leads the strategic direction of Fortify Rights’ work with community-based partners, human rights defenders, affected communities, and civil society organizations. S/he works closely with Fortify Rights’ country-based Human Rights Specialists, Legal Directors, and executive leadership to lead initiatives aimed at supporting, complementing, and amplifying the work of Fortify Rights’ community-based partners. S/he is responsible for building positive relationships and collaborating closely with community-based partners to strengthen collective responses to human rights violations. S/he is responsible for developing customized, tailored curriculum and lesson plans for participatory skill-building practicums and works with the Human Rights Specialists to implement action-oriented trainings and workshops for community-based partners. In coordination with country-based Human Rights Specialists, the Human Rights Trainer/Educator also provides ongoing technical support to Fortify Rights’ partners. The Human Rights Trainer/Educator reports to the Executive Director and receives strategic direction and technical oversight from the Chief Executive Officer.
- In collaboration with the Fortify Rights’ country-based Human Rights Specialists and other team members, the Human Rights Trainer/Educator will develop a concrete and coherent strategy to support, complement, and amplify the work of Fortify Rights’ community-based partners, including human rights defenders, affected communities, and civil society organizations.
- In coordination with country-based Human Rights Specialists, work closely with and provide ongoing technical support to community-based partners. Consult regularly with partners to identify strategic objectives and gaps and develop coherent action plans to address gaps and strengthen collective responses to human rights violations. Support the implementation of action plans in coordination with country-based Human Rights Specialists.
- Develop and customize tailored skill-building curriculum and lesson plans for action-oriented, participatory trainings, practicums, and workshops for community-based partners. Work in coordination with Fortify Rights’ team members to implement skill-building exercises for partners.
- Identify and facilitate opportunities for community-based partners to engage with government officials, decision-makers, and people with power to improve the human rights environment and address violations. Support activities that complement and amplify the work of community-based partners.
- Identify and implement strategies to improve the protection and resilience of community-based partners.
- Implement other tasks to respond to needs identified by partners.
- Work closely with the Partnerships Manager and executive leadership to contribute to fundraising and monitoring and evaluation processes. Contribute to timely reporting through regular monitoring and reporting on project activities and support the Partnerships Manager in tracking and gathering data to evaluate the progress of projects.
- Work closely in collaboration with the Fortify Rights team, including the executive team, the Legal Directors, Partnerships Manager, Multimedia Specialist, and other Human Rights Specialists, to ensure effectiveness, scale the organization’s impact, and ensure sustainability.
- Perform other tasks as requested.
- Post-graduate degree in relevant fields, such as education or participatory learning.
- At least five years of experience conducting trainings or participatory learning exercises for human rights defenders, affected communities, and civil society organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in developing curriculum and lesson plans for participatory learning.
- Experience working collaboratively and effectively with human rights defenders and affected communities.
- Knowledge on human rights documentation, ethical research methodologies, and advocacy strategies.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to effectively communicate with diverse audiences, including survivors and witnesses of abuse.
- Knowledge and/or experience working on human rights issues in Southeast Asia preferred.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and time management skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a flexibly structured team. A willingness to learn and contribute to a positive team environment. A desire to implement innovation and creative solutions to complex problems.
- Willingness to travel within Southeast Asia. This may include travel to remote and potentially insecure areas.
- Fluency in written and oral English required. Additional language skills preferred.
- To be discussed with short-listed candidates.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Fortify Rights seeks exceptional applicants and offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
- Please apply by emailing your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “HUMAN RIGHTS TRAINER/EDUCATOR.”
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- Fortify Rights is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible team, actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants.