2001 L Street NW
ULI is seeking a Senior Associate to manage and support projects for two impactful ULI programs—UrbanPlan and Professional Development. The Senior Associate will be part of a team that houses both UrbanPlan and Professional Development as well as the ULI Awards and Advisory Services programs.
UrbanPlan is a realistic, engaging curriculum administered at high schools and universities, and in a one-day workshop for the public sector. The program is designed to help high school students learn about where and how land use decisions are made in order to make them better-educated citizens. When used at the university level, the program creates more sophisticated and effective land use professionals. The public officials workshop gives attendees an opportunity to experience the risks and trade-offs at play in real estate deals, especially public/private partnerships. UrbanPlan is currently active in 22 district councils in the United States and Canada and relies heavily on local volunteer members who function as advisers and jurors for the process. UrbanPlan has reached over 49,000 high school and university students across the country since 2003.
The Senior Associate will play an integral role in managing and supporting the public sector UrbanPlan program, under the direction of the Senior Director of UrbanPlan. The candidate would work with district councils and partner organizations to plan for and deliver public officials workshops. The Senior Associate will work collaboratively to expand the program to engage citizen leaders. In addition, the candidate would promote and develop other educational offerings for local governments, such as those on public/private partnerships and pro-forma analysis. This position will also help district councils start up their UrbanPlan program and the grant program that supports those startup efforts. Other projects will be identified on an ongoing basis.
The Professional Development Program at ULI delivers practical instruction for land use and real estate professionals at all levels. Programs are delivered by experienced practitioners in both in-person and online formats, both live and on-demand. The Real Estate Entrepreneur Program is the principal component of the Institute’s in-person education programs. These programs focus on the needs of smaller-scale real estate developers driving transformative change at the neighborhood level. ULI also offers more than 35 online programs addressing a wide range of topic areas related to real estate development.
The Senior Associate would play an important role in the administration and ongoing management and delivery of both the in-person and online programs. The candidate will assist in managing program instructors and guest speakers. The candidate will also be responsible for the administrative management of the online Certificate in Commercial Pro Forma Modeling Fundamentals. The Senior Associate will also be expected to assist in identifying topics in support of the development of ancillary online Real Estate Entrepreneur Program topics.
This is a full-time, nonexempt position located in Washington, D.C.
UrbanPlan (75 % of time):
- Manage public officials program of work, which includes working with instructors and stakeholders to evaluate the program, provide technical assistance to district councils holding workshops, and develop a marketing plan to promote the workshops to new communities;
- Work collaboratively to expand the public officials program to include community leaders and develop additional resources to educate and engage this audience;
- Develop and deliver additional educational offerings for the public sector;
- Manage a grant program for district councils to expand UrbanPlan;
- Support marketing of program, such as development of brochure content, PowerPoint presentations, and video production;
- Update the UrbanPlan websites on a rolling basis with new content; and
- Some administrative tasks, such as invoicing and budget tracking.
Professional Development (25% of time):
- Assume significant role in identifying and managing online instructors, developing new program topics, and managing program delivery with our online partner;
- Assist in managing and improving professional development web pages and other administrative tasks as needed;
- Assemble speaker bios. Prepare and create registration and program materials for in-person programs; and
- Manage the online Certificate in Commercial Pro-Forma Modeling program.
- This position is likely to require travel at least 7-10 times per year.
- At least three years of professional experience in a real estate– or land use–related field, including project management responsibilities;
- Knowledge of and interest in land use, the built environment, real estate, placemaking, design, and local government;
- Experience working in the public sector in land use and redevelopment or for a developer working on public/private partnerships;
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite; experience with web design/Word Press and Adobe products such as InDesign is a plus;
- Preferred experience planning and managing educational workshops;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to communicate complex concepts to a wide audience; preference to experience in public speaking and/or workshop delivery;
- Organized with good time-management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Able to work well in both a team environment and also independently; and
- Quick learner and self-starter.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, public policy, real estate development, or related field required, but master’s degree preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please click on the link below. Please submit a résumé and letter of interest.
EOE/m/f/d/v. No relocation reimbursement is offered at this time.