Organizational Background: North Side Housing and Supportive Services (NSHSS)has been serving men and women experiencing homelessness since 1983. North Side Housing and Supportive Services is one of Chicago’s leading housing nonprofits. Recognizing the complexities of homelessness, we expanded services and programs, evolving the shelter into the comprehensive human services agency that we are today.
The Director of Finance and Administration is a membership of the leadership team that directs all financial activities including but not limited to; developing and monitoring compliance with financial policies and regulations, preparing and analyzing budgets, financial reports/projections, and managing the accounting functions and provides general oversight to the finance department.
• Oversee all NSHSS fiscal operations pursuant to the policies and directions of the Executive Director, Board of Directors and external regulations.
• Preparation of annual organization budget as well as individual grant budgets; coordinate all department budgets; work with all department heads throughout the year to ensure that expenditures adhere to legal and budgetary requirements.
• Work with Development Department and leadership team to track revenues and expenses from contracts, foundations, special events, and restricted grants and expenses.
• Develop, supervise, and coordinate all efforts to attain maximum third-party reimbursement including capitated arrangements.
• Responsible for preparation of all regulatory financial reports (e.g., IRS Form 990, state tax returns, etc.).
• Work with Executive Director to ensure all insurance coverage is in place each year; including but not limited to directors’ and officers’, general property, automotive, etc.
• Responsible for all financial accounting and reporting, procedures and internal controls for the finance department.
• Serve as principal liaison between NSHSS and external accountants (e.g., independent auditors) and agencies responsible for financial audits, tax returns, and review of NSHSS fiscal operations.
• Ensures vendor is regularly reviewed and competitive bidding processes utilized.
• Ensures that the finance and accounting policies and procedures are up to date and reflect appropriate compliance changes.
• Oversees payroll and accurate tacking of timesheets, time off, etc.
• Work with Executive Director to evaluate benefit package annually.
• Works in collaboration with program staff to ensure appropriate financial management of core programs (e.g., Representative Payee Program, Utility Assistance Program, Rent Assistance Program).
• Works in collaboration with key staff to ensure IT and facilities management are meeting the needs of the organization.
• Identify, develop and recommend professional development needs/opportunities and
coordinate/conduct appropriate training for staff.
• Participates in staff performance evaluations, formal and informal coaching.
• Participate in departmental recruitment, interviewing, and onboarding of new hires.
• Evaluate finance department structure and team, plan for continual improvement of efficiencies and
effectiveness of both individuals and team members.
• Supports and encourages a collaborative culture that values mutual respect, partnership, learning, trust,
accountability, transparency and fairness.
• Models positive and appropriate professional behavior.
• Staffs the Finance Committee meeting of the organizations Board of Directors. Participate at the Board of
Directors meetings, at the request of the Executive Director or board members.
• Participates in professional workgroups and organizations as needed.
• Communicate departmental activities, changes and other related activities to appropriate personnel,
committees or others as determined.
• Participate in strategic planning and annual operations/implementation planning.
• Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the organization.
• Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business finance or related discipline
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in nonprofit and government accounting
• Prior experience with nonprofit and government contracting
• Versed in GAAP and FASB
• Familiarity with fund accounting principles
• Previous experience with grant award financial management/reporting
• Ability to effectively work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team
• Ability to think critically and multitask
• Ability to analyze and interpret data and technical information
• Strong computer, database management and spreadsheet skills
• Strong supervisory skills
• Positive and proactive approach to communication
If interested, please send cover letter and resume/CV to:
Laura Michalski, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please
North Side Housing and Supportive Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and
applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered
veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. North Side Housing and Supportive Services
complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in
which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not
limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation,
Organizational Background: North Side Housing and Supportive Services (NSHSS)has been serving men and women experiencing homelessness since 1983. North Side Housing and Supportive Services is one of Chicago’s leading housing…