241 East 75th Street
This position will be based in either Pennsylvania, Massachusetts or New York, but extensive travel throughout the northeast is required.
The organizer has responsibility for building trust and confidence of the workers they help to unionize. They are responsible for identifying worker leaders, recruiting leaders, engaging activists, and developing all worker contacts to identify with and drive organizing efforts at their work place. The organizer will also develop and execute outreach plan(s) to further the programmatic goals of the organization and affiliate unions, all with the end goal to successfully organize nurses into bargaining units primed to negotiate a successful first collective bargaining agreement.
· Implement ground organizing plan;
· Keep accurate and up-to-date records, evaluate progress, and provide daily progress reports;
· Ensure organizational goals are met;
· Develop and execute grassroots strategies to further the campaigns of the union;
· Must fully understand all the standard arguments employers use to intimidate their workers and defeat the union, and they must devise effective tactics to inoculate and respond to such attacks.
· Have a thorough grasp of federal and state labor laws as they affect union organizing in hospital settings.
· Follow up with and develop leads for organizing drives;
· Assess worksites for organizing development;
· Develop diverse leadership teams at receptive worksites;
· Ensure data is kept current in the union database by ensuring new contacts are immediately added, contact records are maintained and results are tracked;
· Develop and lead execution of a plan for engaging nurses in opportunities to build their support for NENA and to advance goal to form union.
· Recruit participants and speakers for press, hearings, other events;
· Lead social networking initiatives;
· Create and lead events/actions turning out supporters;
· Coordinate nurse-to-nurse contact – home visits, phone outreach, meeting on breaks
· Develop and lead execution of plan for deepening the engagement of strong supporters – diverse in every way possible, including units/depts. Of hospital;
· Create leadership and volunteer opportunities to plug people into that create opportunities for responsibility, skills development, and ownership of work;
· Develop deeper relationships with key leaders through one-on-one meetings in order to deepen their involvement with the union and cultivate their leadership.
· Assist in development of grassroots campaign plans;
· Engage base of supporters in grassroots activities;
· Identify and develop relationships with local community leaders – elected, faith, local labor, etc.
Administrative & Miscellaneous
· Participate actively in staff meetings, retreats, Board meetings when requested
· Plan, track, and report on individual work;
· Contribute content for organizational communications and marketing materials, such as monthly newsletter or e-alert
· Represent the union positively in public at all times by acting as a professional representative and ambassador.
· Ability to travel extensively throughout the northeast
· Working vehicle and active drivers’ license
· Competitive salary package that includes health insurance and retirement plan contribution
Contribution to retirement plan, health care
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to Nela Hadzic at firstname.lastname@example.org