300 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza Suite 269
Position: Grants Writer
Reports to: Sr. Director, Institutional Partnerships
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Exempt; Full Time
The Organization: Facing History and Ourselves is an international, educational nonprofit organization with a mission to engage students and teachers of diverse backgrounds in an examination of racism, prejudice, and antisemitism in order to promote the development of a more humane and informed citizenry. For over 40 years, we have provided educators with professional development and best-in-class educational resources that enable students to conduct rigorous investigations of the development of difficult histories, including the Holocaust, Reconstruction, the struggle for civil rights in the United States, the fall of apartheid in South Africa, and other key historical moments worldwide. Students explore the individual choices that led to mass violence or systemic discrimination—as well as decision-making that led to positive change—and reflect on the choices they face today and consider how they can make a difference as “upstanders,” rather than bystanders.
The Role: The Grants Writer will be responsible for securing institutional support for Facing History’s projects and programs as assigned. The Writer will work with regional and project development leads to identify, cultivate, solicit, close, steward, and report on grants from foundations and corporations based on Facing History’s annual operating plan, operating needs, and capital needs. The Writer will work to achieve activity and revenue goals as determined by the Senior Director of Institutional Partnerships. They will be responsible for prospect research and, with fundraising partner(s), building a pipeline of new institutional donors.
Please submit 1-2 writing samples with application.
· Articulating Facing History’s mission, programs, and future development opportunities in writing and verbally for the organization, and for foundation, government, and corporate prospects
· Working with the program staff and finance department to develop project action plans and budgets for program implementation, and meeting regularly with project leads and finance partners to help ensure that grant requirements are met
· Managing a portfolio of corporate and foundation donors and prospects
· Writing letters of inquiry, concept papers, proposals, reports, and letters for foundation, government, and corporate prospects
· Contribute to peer review of written materials produced within the Foundation Relations Team
· Supporting frontline fundraising staff in liaising effectively with foundation partners, including consulting on strategic relationship management
· Special projects, including creating proposals and reports with the individual giving team as needed
· Other duties as assigned
· 3-5 years of experience in grant writing; a plus if experienced in education grant writing
· Excellent writing and research skills
· Excellent communication skills, in person, in writing, and on the phone
· Good time management skills, with an ability to handle multiple projects and to meet deadlines
· Good organizational and database management skills
· Ability to work independently and as a member of multiple teams
· Creative energy, self-starter
· Interest in and ability to articulate the mission of this nonprofit
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, and a friendly work environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via the following link: https://facinghistory.clearcompany.com/careers/jobs/539ec009-c733-7bbb-2303-e79073cae3b2/apply?source=854995-CS-25045