Legal Aid Society of Columbus (LASC) is part of a three-part legal aid program headquartered in Columbus, Ohio State Legal Services Association (OSLSA). OSLSA’s mission is to provide civil legal aid and advocacy to combat unfairness and injustice and to help people rise out of poverty.
LASC is actively seeking a professional, reliable and dedicated person to join our team. This position will initially support our Pro Bono and Community Engagement program including working with attorneys to help them assist clients, coordinate volunteer hours and logistics as well as support events with community partners. They may also work to support other efforts across the organization.
In this multifaceted role, responsibilities include collecting and organizing information and documents from clients in support of pro bono work, intake evaluations to help with case determinations, completing forms for clients, file maintenance, data entry, working with non-attorney volunteers, and some general administrative tasks.
Are You Someone Who:
- Has interest in and sensitivity to the legal needs of low-income individuals?
- Is motivated, professional and customer service focused?
- Takes pride in excellent attention to detail when producing documents and other work?
- Can communicate verbally with a wide range of people?
- Is agile and able to respond effectively to the changing needs of a growing organization?
- Creates processes to increase work efficiencies and systems to work smarter not harder?
- Is open to participating in community events?
- Works well within a collaborative, team-driven, and goal-based environment?
- Serve as primary support for the daily work needs of attorneys focused on pro bono work as well as others in the office
- Prepare and maintain volunteer records including contact information, hours served and other relevant details
- Collect and organize information and documents from clients
- Intake evaluations to help with case determinations
- Conduct client call backs and follow up with clients as needed
- Draft correspondence to clients including routine communications, closing letters and no contact letters among others
- Perform administrative tasks including opening hard files, opening electronic cases, sending intake packets, completing reporting paperwork and other related duties
- Support and collaborate with staff, partners and other related parties to help achieve goals
- Be responsible for some general office work including incoming/outgoing mail, making copies, sending client information and other similar tasks
- A positive attitude, go-getter mindset and drive to do things well
- Professional experience in customer service
- Ability to anticipate needs and navigate problems with a creative, practical approach toward reaching successful resolution
- The ability to prioritize workload to manage time and tasks in a dynamic environment
- Proficient skills across the Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, verbally and in writing, effectively with diverse audiences
- Strong work ethic with an eye for detail
- High ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion
- English language proficiency is essential and Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus. Additional languages – even better
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Prior Legal Aid or related work experience a plus, but not required
- OSLSA’s clientele is diverse, and all of our clients are low income. To ensure that our program is best serving our communities, OSLSA strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
- It is the policy of OSLSA not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, age, ancestry, and military status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- This full-time position is based in Columbus, Ohio and reports to the Managing Attorney.
- Hourly rates start at $16.41 per hour DOE and Legal Aid offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package, paid time off, and ongoing training and development opportunities.