Details: based on experience
Net Impact is currently seeking a fast-moving, extremely organized, and thoughtful leader to serve as its Director, Finance and Operations. The Director, Finance and Operations will partner with the Chief Financial and Operating Officer to plan and execute all aspects of finance, operations, HR and talent management at Net Impact.
With responsibility for core internal functions and teams, the Director will be critical in ensuring efficient and effective ongoing operations. The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of accounting experience and be a systems-oriented thinker who is also experienced and adept at financial projections and data analysis. Operations/HR oversight and partner management experience is also helpful for this role. This position will have 1.5 direct reports. This is an amazing opportunity for a results-oriented leader with aspirations to master all aspects of finance/operations/HR (future CFO/COO) to join a successful organization positioned for significant growth.
Major responsibilities include:
· Oversee external accounting vendor
· With direct report, execute all finance and accounting operations including but not limited to leading the annual budgeting process, monthly and quarterly projection process, restricted grant management and reporting, expense tracking, cash management, budget to actual board reporting and the annual audit
· Produce internal financial management reports, including key financial metrics and regular reporting, and help manage all internal communications regarding financial results
· With direct report, work with staff on developing and managing program budgets and developing ongoing projections
· With direct report, lead the preparation of the outsourced annual tax filings for the IRS (Form 990) and California (Form 199)
· Oversee a system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures and educate and assist team with the stated policies
· Conduct ad hoc financial analysis as required and complete ad hoc projects as needed
· Manage outside vendor for HR administration, including benefits administration, payroll, HR advisory and policy and procedure development
· Ensure internal compliance and execution of policies and procedures
· Consult with other managers to ensure legal and ethical employee relations strategies occur
· With vendor, complete all necessary new hire, benefits and employee exit documents
· Foster a positive culture of enthusiasm and excellence across the entire organization
· Work closely with the leadership team to create a strategic staff development strategy
· Plan and implement creative and cost-effective approaches for recruiting and selecting a strong, diverse team of high-quality staff
· Develop training calendar and additional trainings as needed
· Develop effective on boarding, orientation, and training programs for new employees
· In collaboration with leadership team, implement organization-wide performance evaluation and professional development polices; work closely with senior leaders to ensure proper training and execution
· Manage all legal, insurance and other operational documents and procedures to ensure a safe and legally compliant working environment
· Oversee office management, including supervising Senior Office Manager (0.5 FTE, other half is as Exec Admin), managing vendor and broker relationships and office computer (staff use) systems administration and oversight, including management of IT vendor relationship
· Other general office operations
Qualifications / Requirements:
Our ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about efficiency and effectiveness, and has a background executing finance activities at a similar sized or larger organization. The ideal candidate will have some operations/HR oversight experience or a strong passion for understanding and mastering these aspects of small business management.
Direct nonprofit accounting experience is strongly preferred. Candidates without this experience should highlight their exposure to nonprofit accounting through academics or volunteer positions.
In addition, successful candidates should be able to demonstrate an ability to work efficiently and fast, be nimble in the face of change and hold a positive and collaborative attitude. Outstanding communication skills (written and verbal) are also a must.
· Degree in Accounting (or related field), CPA/MBA preferred
· 3-5+ years of finance/accounting-related experience, ideally in a nonprofit organization
· 2+ years oversight of operations/HR preferred
· High standards for excellence and exceptional attention to detail
· Proven analytic abilities, including quantitative analysis, proficiency with Excel
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Skilled at project management
· Enthusiasm for optimizing processes and understanding all aspects of finance, ops, HR management
· Motivated self-starter with ability to establish and meet goals and objectives
· Flexibility and sense of humor
· Enthusiastic commitment to Net Impact’s mission
· Strict confidentiality on financial and HR information
About Net Impact
Net Impact is a pioneer in the corporate sustainability space, having built a loyal following of tens of thousands over the past 25 years. Today, our community of tens of thousands of individuals in 350+ chapters includes students and graduate students all over the world, as well as emerging professionals who aspire to make a difference. As the central organization in Oakland, CA, we develop programs and opportunities for our global network to connect, build skills, and make a difference on important issues like racial equity, food security, and climate change. The annual Net Impact conference is renowned as a premier inspirational gathering for next generation leaders who want to transform the world.
Location: Oakland, CA, USA
Compensation: Competitive compensation and benefits package
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Net Impact encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission and making impact.
Net Impact is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write your name and the title for this position (“Your name – Director, Finance and Operations”) in the subject line of your email.
1. Thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in the position and your qualifications
3. Salary expectations