Hartley House is a historic settlement house that has been serving the Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood in New York City since 1897. Programs include after school and summer day camp programs for children, support services for neighborhood seniors, creative arts programs for all ages, and adult education programs.
We are seeking a bright, energetic, self-starter to use his/her talent and knowledge to give back to the community. Our programs and services give individuals the confidence and tools they need to improve their lives and be productive members of society. By joining Hartley House, you can also be a part of this very important work.
In collaboration with the Executive Director, professional staff, and an outsourced CPA firm, s/he will assist in developing strategies to enhance business practices and financial management. The Bookkeeper will be flexible, proactive, and have a keen eye for detail. S/he will work in partnership with Program Directors, Development, the Executive Director, and an outsourced CPA firm.
- All A/P & A/R duties
- Post all journal entries, accruals etc.
- Handle all facets of bi-weekly payroll, including tracking time off, managing employee deductions, collecting timesheets, entering medical and transit check deductions etc.
- Handle all banking: making deposits, trips to the bank, etc.
- Maintain pension and TDA records
· Prepare/monitor individual program budgets in collaboration with CPA firm.
· Assist in the preparation of financial documents for audits, 990, and CHAR500
- Manage the client bill pay component for our Home Outreach Program for Elders (HOPE) serving homebound seniors in our community as a Social Security Administration Organizational Representative Payee
- Ad hoc financial reporting and reconciliation as assigned
This individual needs to be well-organized, proactive, and flexible. This newly created position will be working in collaboration with an offsite CPA, who will provide the individual with the opportunity to learn and advance their professional knowledge and experience. There is room for upwards growth for an individual demonstrating the proper skills, desire, and commitment to the agency. The individual who fills this position will have access to sensitive financial information; therefore, all final job offers will be contingent upon a background check.
· Knowledge of FUND E-Z (v 10.05.05), QuickBooks (Pro 2010), Microsoft Office Suite (2010), and ADP online all required
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance preferred with at least 2years’ experience in Accounting
· Nonprofit experience is a must (i.e. how to deal with restricted funds, acknowledgement of charitable donations, etc.)
· Working knowledge of fundraising and Salesforce is a plus
Full Benefits including health insurance, 20 vacation days, 3 personal days, 7 sick days. Opportunity to work from home one day a week pending the successful completion of the probationary period and manager approval.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. To apply, please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line BOOKKEEPER.