702 H Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. For over fifty years, Greenpeace has fought to save the planet from the threat of global warming, destruction of ancient forests, deterioration of our oceans, and the threat of a nuclear disaster loom large. As an independent organization, Greenpeace does not accept funds from any corporations or government entities, safeguarding our independence and ability to speak the truth and act boldly. We recognize the importance of the moment: Ours is the first generation to experience the impacts of climate change and ecosystem destruction, and the last generation with a window of time to do something about it.
Do you love the idea of working with collaborative teams to drive real world change? Do you love using your digital advocacy, fundraising and marketing skills to inspire people to take action and solve some of our world’s biggest problems like climate change? Then this might be the job for you.
Greenpeace is hiring an Email Strategist to help lead our digital engagement as we shift organizationally to a truly people powered model of advocacy. We're looking for a rockstar to take our email campaigns to the next level. If you're a go-getter who loves creating digital mobilization and fundraising strategies, lives for the execution of those strategies, and wants to help win global campaigns, this is the right fit for you.
Our email program -- reaching almost a million people a week -- is the foundation of much of our digital mobilization work. There’s extraordinary opportunity for growth and innovation, and the ideal candidate will be someone excited to jump in with both feet, try new things, and work with their teammates to create new models of growth and engagement.
The Email Strategist will work on a variety of compelling projects with global and local focus. They’ll be able to develop strategies to connect to a wide variety of diverse audiences. They’ll work closely with our media, fundraising, actions and project teams to take bold action in the spirit of Greenpeace’s strong brand. They’ll spend the morning developing a long-term plan to grow our supporter base, and then the afternoon writing and building a rapid-response email.
The Email Strategist role is an exempt, full time role based in Washington, DC or San Francisco, and will report to the Senior Digital Campaigns Manager.
The Email Strategist will:
- Develop and execute email strategies for fundraising, growth, and campaigns.
- Lead digital department and cross-organizational projects.
- Write and produce engaging emails that motivate our supporters to take action, donate, volunteer and keep coming back for more
- Serve as Greenpeace USA’s resident email expert. Stay up-to-date with trends for email marketing, advocacy, and fundraising.
- Test new practices. Use research, insights and A/B testing to optimize campaigns.
- Work with the data team to track and benchmark email performance.
- Participate in email strategy thought leadership.
Minimum Requirements of the Email Strategist include:
- 3 - 5 years of experience in digital campaigning/ strategy, organizing, or marketing – including email writing and list building, database management and segmentation, and online fundraising; or a mix of digital and other campaigning/organizing/fundraising experience, with a strong track record of strategy development and digital content planning and creation.
- Deep understanding of engaging, creative and personal writing for email advocacy and fundraising. Able to draft and test multiple approaches to deliver irresistible content.
- Proven email writing, coaching and editing skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Flexible and collaborative approach to be responsive to the news cycle and to a big organization working on multiple issues.
- Embraces a culture of philanthropy that empowers and builds relationships with small donors to make a big difference.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to testing and data analysis.
- Expertise in online platforms and tools such as CRMs (we use Every Action)
- Excellent judgement regarding strategic and timely communications reaching millions of supporters.
- Listens to supporters, speaks to their interests and the movement they are a part of in a way that binds them to the organization for long term engagement.
Additional qualifications for the Email Strategist include, but are not limited to:
- Strong leadership skills, with demonstrated success working on cross-functional teams in a campaigning environment and/or leading large projects.
- Strong track record in email fundraising.
- Strong track record in SMS engagement.
- Strong track record in audience understanding and segmentation.
- Strong track record in list health and management needs like segmentation, improving deliverability, welcoming new supporters, and engaging lapses supporters.
- Ability to inspire and advise peers and senior colleagues on multiple teams, set and review goals, assess risks and outcomes, and analyze data.
Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity.
Greenpeace values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Minimum Education Required