Summary: Global Kids, Inc. (GK) is a seeking dynamic, hard-working, and creative individual who is experienced in middle school youth development, managing staff, global education, and social justice. Candidates should be interested in working and leading a team of 2 full time and up to 5 part time staff based in a NYC public middle school in East Harlem, Manhattan, and be familiar with the Department of Youth and Community Development’s SONYC program model. This position reports to the Director of Middle School Programs. This position is fully in-person and requires a COVID-19 vaccination.
Program Design & Implementation
- Collaborate with other GK program staff and Director of Curriculum on developing yearly curriculum maps aligned with GK outcomes and contractual obligations.
- Coordinate and write interactive experiential workshops and activities for GK’s weekly school-based after school programs. Co-facilitate after school activities as needed
- Design programs and activities appropriate for middle school students focusing on social emotional health, STEM, global/local issues, service learning and other content areas.
- Organize special events such as field trips, mini-conferences, parent nights, and performances
- Ensure student and Global Kids staff participation in GK citywide events.
- Occasional overnight and long-distance travel required (annual overnight middle school retreat, college trips, annual out of state trip).
Contract Management & Administrative Tasks
- Maintain SACC license for school site, including up to date personnel files.
- Oversee and conduct attendance outreach, recruitment and retention services including attendance monitoring/data review, data entry, conferences and attendance incentive activities and phone calls to comply with GK and SONYC requirements.
- Remain informed on current DYCD guidelines and contractor responsibilities by attending provider meetings and maintaining contact with DYCD Program Manager.
- Ensure all staff members are aware of, and follow, any changes and new developments to program and contractual expectations guidelines and expectations.
- Ensure all program and student records (digital and hard copy) are securely maintained, including but not limited to: workshops, field trips, student attendance and incentive forms.
- Follow all fiscal procedures for ordering supplies and reporting on expenses
- Submit quarterly program reports
Supervision and Management
- Manage all day-to-day operations on site and ensure the implementation of quality programming.
- Provide overall support and supervision for school-based staff, including full time trainers/educators, part- time staff, and teaching artists
- Supervise daily management of tasks (delegate appropriately) facilitate weekly check-ins, conduct program/staff observations with immediate feedback, conduct formal performance evaluations and individual check ins.
- Review and approve bi-weekly time sheets and school sign-in sheets.
- Help navigate, secure resources and build/sustain relationships with participants, parents, school staff, other CBOs, and policy makers.
- Partner with school staff (principals, faculty, guidance counselors, parent coordinators, facilities staff) to ensure high quality and safe programming.
- Provide guidance and referrals for social services to youth
- Advanced degree in related field and 3 years relevant professional experience or Bachelor’s degree and 6 years relevant professional experience
- Experience supervising personnel and managing teams
- Experience working in or closely with NYC public schools
- Experience with or deep knowledge of DYCD SONYC programs or school-based afterschool programs
- Experience with and enthusiasm using interactive learning strategies with middle school aged youth
- Commitment to and understanding of working in culturally diverse settings and using antiracist pedagogical practices
- Knowledge of and passion for global issues, political science, history, education and social justice and human rights
- Excellent facilitation, consensus-building and interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic, initiative, creativity, willingness to learn, and ability to manage multiple tasks independently.
- Strong communication, writing, organizational, and technology skills.
- Fluency in other languages a plus, particularly Haitian Creole.