Boston or Duxbury Offices
The Manager of Donor Relations and Events (MDRE) manages Crossroads donor relations activities and special events. This position oversees the stewardship and donor recognition functions for the department, ensuring that donors are thanked, recognized and informed of their philanthropic support. The MDRE is also responsible for developing donor engagement strategies through special events, creative stewardship, and annual giving campaigns. The MDRE will plan and implement a robust calendar of event and activities that attract, cultivate and steward a diversified donor base, including a fundraising event, that raises a significant portion of the budget.
Crossroads inspires young people to unlock their potential and positively impact the world. At Crossroads, we believe that young people can shape their own futures and should not be defined by their social and economic circumstances. We engage underserved youth in programming that allows them to experience the power of community, while developing the essential skills needed to successfully navigate school and the postsecondary arena. Crossroads’ programs enable young people to reach beyond their context and comfort zones to challenge themselves, set and achieve goals, and learn to overcome the barriers they meet in their lives.
Donor Relations and Stewardship
- Manage the personal stewardship of donors, including daily thank you outreach, addressing donor inquiries, and individual engagement to create opportunities to build relationships with existing donors and learn more about their philanthropic interests and capacity.
- With guidance and insight from Directors of Development Operations and in coordination with Communications staff, design, implement and coordinate a donor relations program that appropriately and consistently promotes engagement with and recognition of all donors (annual, event sponsors, foundation and major gift donors).
- Work with the Director of Development Operations to plan, execute and market a formalized donor recognition program.
- Oversee and track naming opportunities for special campaigns and ensure timely recognition.
- Assist the Director Development Operations in planning and coordinating outreach to small gift donors through specific campaigns throughout the year, including Rodman Ride, Giving Tuesday and seasonal and lapsed giving appeals.
- Steward and cultivate relationships and conduct initial exploratory meetings with donors and prospects to determine capacity for major gifts.
- Seek new processes to increase the efficiency and efficacy of the donor collection and stewardship process.
Donor Events and Engagement Activities
- Serve as the lead project manager for the successful planning and implementation of all development events, including a signature annual event that raises 30% of fundraising budget, ensuring that events are implemented effectively and that organizational priorities are met.
- Oversees all development event logistics (from concept to follow-up), including timelines and implementation plans, managing budgets, auction/software management, permits, speaking program/run of show, coordinating vendors and volunteers.
- Develop systems to monitor, track and report efficiency measures across all aspects of the event.
- Support the Director of Leadership Giving with event committee operations including attending meetings, taking minutes and providing reports.
- Work with Director of Leadership Giving to support the Board and Event Committee members and volunteers on invitation lists and solicitations.
- With Director of Leadership Giving to plan and execute stewardship events through assistance on logistics and communication materials.
- Serve as liaison for third-party hosted events, to maximize fundraising for Crossroads (promotion, marketing materials, fundraising tools).
- Oversee Crossroads participation in Rodman Ride for Kids.
- Serve as point person for stakeholder engagement activities for loyal donors and major gift prospects—oversee invitation process, scheduling, day of activity and follow up.
- Identify and attend networking events that will help drive connections with potential donors.
Volunteer Management and Leadership Groups
- Serve as main contact for the Emerging Leaders Board, including supporting the implementation of an on-going recruitment strategy and developing a strategy to increase the engagement and giving of this group.
- Support efforts by the Board and Development Cabinet to energize and equip them to fundraise and steward donors.
- Oversee and Grow Volunteer Engagement: Works with staff across programs and departments to coordinate volunteer engagement projects for corporate and individual prospects, and individual event volunteer engagement.
- Serve as liaison for volunteers at camp work days—welcome, inform, thank, and encourage deeper participation with and support for Crossroads.
- BA/BS degree. A minimum of 4-5 years of related experience.
- Previous fundraising experience required.
- Proven track record of success in planning and executing fundraising events.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge and Blackbaud Online Express
- Excellent project management skills.
- Ability to balance the requirements of overseeing a large fundraising event with the need to engage and steward donor segments throughout the year in a variety of ways.
- Highly organized with demonstrated ability to build and execute strong plans
- Strong relationship-builder with a keen understanding of the context and motivations of others
- Demonstrated ability to adapt based on context of a situation and identify solutions quickly when faced with challenges
Crossroads offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individual so diverse backgrounds to apply and are committed to hiring individuals who value a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Minimum Education Required