29-76 Northern Boulevard
Title: Discharge Planner
Reports to: Rikers Island Supervisor
Status: Full Time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Job Code: TBD
Location: Rikers Correctional Facility, Manhattan Detention Center, and Long Island City
Days/Hours: 5 days/35 hours a week, which may include weekends and/or evenings
Date Prepared: August 3, 2018
I-CAN is a jail-based community reentry program expected to reduce recidivism of detainees who have been identified as being high risk for re-incarceration (repeat offenders). The goal is to support them into reintegration into the community, with their families and preparation for their continuum of sentence.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Work in conjunction with NYCDOC to achieve program/contractual goals;
· Facilitate groups in accordance with standard curriculum, follow calendar;
· Ensure groups begin on time and end at their scheduled end time;
· Conduct individual counseling when necessary;
· Complete daily outcome reports of attendance and progress;
· Prepare and distribute monthly group calendars/schedules;
· Prepare and distribute reference letters;
· Conduct assessments and make referrals for additional services when necessary;
· Plan and coordinate events (graduations, long-timers, special initiative, etc.);
· Maintain open communication with leadership team;
· Identify success stories to share;
· Identify strategies and/or innovative ideas to encourage and increase participation;
· Assist with coordination of services – discharge planning and/or transitional services;
· Complete enrollment/intakes, prepare and submit waitlist;
· Enter case notes into data management system;
· Attend case conference and other meetings; and
· Other duties as assigned.
· Ability to obtain correctional facility clearance and work within the constraints of facility guidelines which can include lock downs, screening of personal items including food and clothing restrictions, which can be changed at the discretion of the Department of Corrections;
· Willingness to comply with NYCDOC search and seizure policy;
· High school diploma or GED/HSE required. Some degree of higher education preferred;
· Experience in counseling and group facilitation of criminal justice involved individuals required;
· Knowledge and/or familiar working in jail-based setting;
· Good computer skills, including the ability to write reports and enter data into a database;
· Strong administrative and organizational skills;
· Strong written and verbal communications skills, including presentation and public speaking skills;
· Bilingual English/Spanish a plus;
· A commitment to working with a diverse group of individuals involved with the criminal justice system;
· Ability to maintain composure and patience in challenging circumstances;
· Excellent team player;
· Flexibility to meet the needs of the program, such as moving between centers throughout the day; and
· We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements: Frequent travel between Rikers, MDC and Long Island City office. May require travel to our Harlem office.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow link to apply: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=11456&clientkey=33B4B23E84A9B3F4CD16B8BC7604391F