40 W. 39th St.
IDP is hiring a Litigation Staff Attorney to work with IDP’s Supervising Litigation Attorney and Senior Counsel on a variety of strategic and impact litigation, including litigation support and technical assistance, on issues affecting the due process rights of immigrants and vulnerability to deportation. These include:
· Participating in Supreme Court litigation campaigns in defense of immigrants.
· Participating in creative district court litigation on ICE accountability cases, including FTCA, Bivens, and 1983 claims.
· Litigating issues involving the criminal grounds of removability and immigration enforcement, including consulting on and potentially doing some direct representation and amicus briefing on Petitions for Review of removal orders in the Circuit Courts. This work will mainly involve a focus on application of the categorical approach.
· Producing practice advisories and sample pleadings for use by immigration court, BIA, and federal court practitioners.
· Providing technical assistance and litigation support to immigration court, BIA, and Circuit Court practitioners on crim-imm and enforcement issues.
· Participating in the Second Circuit Working Group and other coalitions of which IDP is a part, including the opportunity for leadership roles.
· Monitoring legal developments in the immigration field.
· Conducting sophisticated legal research and producing legal memoranda for IDP’s litigation practice to be used in developing litigation campaigns.
· With other staff, provide expert consults to criminal defense attorneys, immigrants and their families, and immigration attorneys on criminal-immigration law issues through IDP’s hotline
· Some travel, primarily to regional and national trainings (including some evening and weekend events) is required.
Salary commensurate with relevant experience. Generous benefit package provided by IDP’s fiscal sponsor, Fund for the City of New York. Highly congenial organizational culture and commitment to work-life balance.
Level of Language Proficiency
· JD degree and bar admission in good standing in New York, or willingness and eligibility to promptly seek admission
· Two to five years of litigation experience, preferably including experience litigating issues related to immigrant rights (open to considering more senior staff attorney position for individuals with more experience)
· Demonstrated commitment to immigrant rights and social justice issues
· Exceptional organizational and written and oral communication skills; ability to timely respond to and balance numerous requests for assistance
· Ability to work in a respectful, non-judgmental manner with impacted individuals (including people accused or convicted of serious crimes), and to work collaboratively, respectfully and supportively with colleagues and partners
· Strong command of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and other standard productivity software
· Oral and written fluency in Spanish is preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We will be screening applications and interviewing on a rolling basis. Please submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with Litigation Staff Attorney in the subject line. Writing samples and three references will be requested for those interviewed. No phone calls please.