Senior Marine Biologist, Toledo Institute for Development and Environment (TIDE)
- Job posted by Toledo Institute for Development and Environment (TIDE)
Full Time Contract
1 Mile San Antonio Road
You will guide and oversee TIDE’s science program, focusing on marine biology and conservation, but with aspects of freshwater and terrestrial biology. You will be responsible for the coordination of the science program which includes: monitoring, research and management activities for the Port Honduras Marine Reserve and the Maya Mountain Marine Corridor (MMMC); oversee science staff, develop budgets for the research and monitoring program; lead science staff in the development of policy and programs for monitoring and research; contribute to grant proposals when necessary; act as the primary liaison with visiting researchers, scientific groups and projects; work with other managers to ensure management is based on sound scientific information; represent the organization at national and international meetings and conferences.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assess the TIDE existing monitoring and research program in accordance national priorities and propose structure of program.
2. Supervise data collection for the monitoring and research programs (coral, reef fish, seagrass, mangroves, water quality, commercial species e.g. lobster, conch, sea cucumber), including supervision/coordination of science staff.
3. Work with science staff to ensure proper data entry, data analysis and report writing.
4. Work with other management staff to ensure monitoring and research data is utilized.
5. Analyse data to support implementation of Managed Access and Adaptive Management Framework for PHMR.
6. Publish scientific research in international peer-reviewed journals.
7. Operate TIDE Community Researcher Program including SCUBA training and research methods training for local research team.
8. Collaborate with visiting researchers to establish links between research and management activities.
9. Develop targeted research projects for TIDE within the area of the MMMC.
10. Responsible for science program logistics, budgeting, and staffing.
11. Assist with grant development including proposal writing.
12. Assist with community outreach through the development of presentations and outreach materials.
13. Coordinate with local, regional and international partners.
14. Represent TIDE at national and international meetings, and on committees and organizations that have mutual interests in conservation.
15. Responsible for relevant project documentation and report writing.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required