294 Avenue T
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
High School College Counselor
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. For the second year in a row, Coney Island Prep High School has proudly sent 100% of our graduating class to the college of their choice. This is the result of the tireless work of our teachers and students at all three campuses who prove everyday that our scholars’ dreams will not be denied.
The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our educators work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need teachers who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity in along the way.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a bad day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be hectic and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
What We Ask In Return
You have to be all in too. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our professionals work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need professionals who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity in along the way.
Coney Island Prep is seeking a College Counselor to foster and grow a college going culture, and to ensure that all scholars are on the road to 100% college acceptance and matriculation. The college counselor will work closely with the Dean of College to increase awareness about college life, guide scholars and families through the college search process, and support scholars in their application process. The College Counselor will be hired by and report to the Dean of College.
Mindsets and Experience
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college of their choice
- Bachelor’s degree required,
- At least two years of college advising to low-income, first generation college applicants and their families preferred
- Strong analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and an acute attention to detail
- Ability to see multiple projects with many moving parts through from beginning to end
- Focus on results and flexibility/willingness to do “whatever it takes”
- Ability to work autonomously as well as take direction
- Professional demeanor
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback, with the ambition and desire to grow as a leader
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
- Willingness to be a team player
· Beginning in the 4th quarter, provide one-on-one college counseling to a caseload of approximately 40 juniors to help them begin to develop their college lists and personal statements.
· Provide one-on-one college counseling to a caseload of approximately 40 seniors through, helping them finalize their college list, write a personal statement, complete their college application, apply for financial aid, and decide where to matriculate
· Plan and lead workshops for families on key topics, such as college applications, college fit, SAT preparation, financial aid planning, and admissions policies
· Lead professional development for staff on writing letters of recommendations. Manage the college of letters of recommendation for all students in your caseload.
· Integrate the use of Naviance as a counseling tool for scholars, staff, and families
· Develop and maintain a robust network of college admission professionals through regular communication and visits from and to colleges and universities that best support first generation, low income, college students
· Maintain regular communication with network of colleges and universities to support admission and financial aid offerings.
· Collaborate with the College Team and the Operations team to plan and execute successful college and end of year college trips based on colleges/universities that best support first generation, low income, college students
· Ensure students take advantage of special opportunities made available to low-income students in the college search and application process (i.e. fee waivers, fly-in visits, university partner programs, and scholarships)
Benefits and Compensation
- Staff at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and are eligible for a school-wide performance-based bonus.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
- Teachers are provided with laptops and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in the classroom.
Interested applicants should go to http://coneyislandprep.org/careers/career-opportunities to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability.
Minimum Education Required