Director of School Support, Louisiana
Location: Louisiana (proximity to, or willingness to travel to, Monroe region required)
Position is available: June 2018
WHO WE ARE
Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that's grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country.
Founded in 2005, ANet now serves over 800 schools educating more than 230,000 students in over 20 locations around the country. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students. ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, including a prestigious Investing In Innovation (i3) grant from the federal government in 2010, New Schools Venture Fund's “Organization of the Year” in 2011, and The NonProfit Time's “Best Nonprofits to Work For” in 2015 and 2016.
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
Founded in 2009, the Louisiana Network has a strong track record of serving district and charter schools in New Orleans and surrounding areas. ANet provided critical support for Louisiana schools transitioning to more rigorous state standards and remains an integral partner for schools who share our mission of improving instructional practice and student learning.
We are seeking a dynamic and skilled instructional leader to serve as a Director of School Support (DSS) in our Louisiana Network, with a focus on supporting our partners in the City of Monroe and Richland Parish school districts in the 2018-19 school year. This is a unique opportunity for an outcomes-driven educator to enact change in the classroom through coaching and supporting school leaders. The DSS will work with leaders to build a school culture where learning standards, achievement data, and teacher development are used to achieve breakthrough learning for students. The DSS will be responsible for coaching and developing leadership in approximately 12 schools in the Network, reaching more than 150 teachers and 3000 students. The Director of School Support will report directly to the Executive Director of the Louisiana Network and will work closely with the entire Louisiana-based team. This role will also collaborate regularly with ANet national teams and peer coaches in other regions.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Partner with and coach school leaders to strengthen instruction and increase student achievement
- Serve as an instructional leadership coach for school leaders, inspiring and motivating teams, supporting school-wide change management, and building expertise in standards-based and data-driven instruction and teacher development
- Train and coach school leaders and teachers on effective backwards planning using state standards, complex texts, and curricula to achieve student mastery of grade-level content
- Develop school leaders and teachers on effective use of formative data from interim assessments to target student misunderstandings and improve teacher practice
- Analyze student data and use research-based practices to inform an individualized strategy for coaching each school
- Build and maintain strong relationships with school leaders and teachers that establish ANet as a key partner in increasing student achievement
- Engage in a gradual release of support to build some schools' independence with teacher development, first by modeling meeting facilitation, then observing and providing coaching and feedback to leaders on their facilitation
Develop a strong network of ANet schools
- Connect school leaders with other schools to facilitate best practice sharing
- Design and lead professional development sessions for groups of school leaders and teachers
- Support the Louisiana Executive Director in growing the Network by sustaining current school partners and fostering new partnerships
Support internal ANet strength and growth
- Develop tools, coaching strategies, and innovative ideas for the organization that improve our ability to coach schools
- Serve in internal ANet leadership roles, which could include recruiting and hiring, network event coordination, sales, professional development planning and facilitation, and strategy development
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels; you believe in the power of formative assessment, coaching, and professional development as critical levers in school improvement
- You bring prior experience managing or coaching other adults (e.g. school leadership, instructional coaching, department and/or grade level chair, teacher leadership, etc.) and know how to develop and motivate others to drive results, while balancing humility and assertiveness
- You have a proven track record of results as a teacher and/or leader and experience with standards-based education and using data to drive instruction; you know what excellent instructional practices look like at the classroom, grade, and school level
- You have excellent communication skills and are able to read and respond to unspoken and implicit cues; you are a compelling presenter and facilitator who can explain complex problems and solutions in clear, concise and engaging ways
- You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily; you are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet's Advance Equity and People Matter values
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- You bring prior experience working within, and/or knowledge of, the educational landscape in Louisiana
- You are familiar with implementing the Common Core and/or Louisiana Student Standards, as a teacher and/or as an instructional coach
- You have prior experience coaching teams, leading professional development, and/or managing academic programs at a district/CMO-level
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/cmchvr4d3jv4pccr