A House on Beekman’s aim is to create a seamless series of programs from birth to career that empowers the next generation of the South Bronx to reach their full potential. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working and creative leader who shares our passion for providing exceptional programming to children and families in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South Bronx.
A House on Beekman (AHOB) is looking for a highly-motivated, organized, and supportive person to work at dreamBronx, a college/career focused after school program for students in grades 6 through 8 from high-poverty communities in Bronx, NY. The Group Leader’s primary responsibility is to design and lead enrichment activities for students. We are seeking creative professionals with experience working with the youth in the following (but not limited to) areas: music, visual arts, media technology, dance, sports and recreation, health awareness and community leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities shall include but not limited to the following:
1. Assisting students with homework
2. Plan, implement and document successful educational, recreation, youth leadership, biblical/spiritual growth and community service and arts activities with school-aged children.
3. Share the gospel with the students and show God’s love to them
4. Adhere to policies and procedures in a proactive manner, making the safety and care of children your primary focus.
5. Build a positive relationship with each after-school participant in your care, and foster positive connections between participants and their families. Actively engage with children at all times with the goal of fostering the positive development of each child and the group.
6. Conduct yourself as a professional and representative of A House on Beekman with school staff, parents/families, children and anyone else with whom you come into contact in your role.
7. Effectively manage assigned group. Maintain and enforce progressive discipline policy.
8. Assist in enrollment, recording and submitting daily attendance records, and any other required documents to the Program Director.
9. Inspect on a daily basis all facilities, equipment, and supplies and be sure all are accounted for and put away at the end of each day.
10. Work as a part of a collaborative team, providing support to any specialist implementing activities. The team plays an important role in the development of the program.
11. Actively participate in all aspects of staff or member development, including bi-weekly supervision, team meetings, pre-service training, and any additional trainings during the school year.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
1. High School Diploma or GED with some college preferred.
2. Must have experience working with young children in a structured youth program of middle school, preferably in a racially, ethnically, and social-emotionally diverse urban community.
3. Living in (or openness to living in) the South Bronx is a big plus, though not absolutely
4. Possess an ability to engage and lead children in small group activities in your area of specialty; strong communication skills, strong organizational skills, excellent judgment, ability to work in a team in a variety of environments.
5. Candidates possessing skills in STEM, foreign languages, visual arts, music, or performing arts are strongly encouraged to apply.
6. Bilingual is a plus.
Expected Work Schedule
This is a seasonal part-time position, working up to 30 hours a week. The Middle School Program operates on school days from 12:35pm – 6:30pm. We will follow the NYC public school calendar and will also have occasional staff development/planning days on school holidays. Work days/hours subject to change based on AHOB’s needs.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual is a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered for a position, email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.