The Internal Communications Manager is responsible for producing and disseminating internal, interdepartmental communications for the Burning Man Project nonprofit organization. This role will work on the development of an overarching internal communications strategy for the organization, and will keep year-round and seasonal paid staff and volunteers informed about key organizational initiatives. The Internal Comms Manager will work closely with the People Operations team, the Communications team, the Philanthropic Engagement team, the Chief Operations Officer, and the office of the Chief Executive Officer. Judgment, professionalism, and initiative must be exercised in verbal and written communications and projects.
This is a regular, full-time role, located in San Francisco, CA or Reno, NV.
The deadline to apply for this role is 5:00 pm Pacific on Thursday, June 1st, 2023.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
PERCENTAGE OF TIME SPENT
- Develop and execute a comprehensive internal communications strategy in collaboration with People Operations, Communications, and executive leadership.
- Oversee annual Philanthropic Engagement communications (aside from Dispatch project).
- Ensure organizational initiatives, projects, events, and news are disseminated to appropriate channels (such as internal weekly staff bulletin, Placement newsletter, DPW newsletter, DMV newsletter, and more) and teams in a timely fashion.
- Oversee communications strategy for staff events, retreats, offsites, etc.
- Ensure consistency of messaging, tone, and style across internal channels, and with external messaging in collaboration with the Communications team.
- Oversee protocols for ensuring internal, staff-wide email and Slack lists and alias membership are optimal.
- Keep tabs on and foster opportunities for internal projects to be communicated more broadly internally or externally.
- Prepare, and disseminate internal, time-sensitive responses to situations as they arise, in collaboration with Communications and People Operations teams.
- Assist Burning Man Project year-round events team with communications for internal-facing events.
- Collaborate on distribution of internal Black Rock City Event policy changes and internally-focused communications.
- Analyze and adapt current organizational and event feedback systems.
- Role will be affiliated with and participate in preparing agenda for weekly all-staff meeting.
- Work with Designer and/or Content Manager for graphic design of internal assets, as needed.
- Duties at the Burning Man event in Black Rock City to be assigned by the Communications team.
Other Functions and Responsibilities (5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
LEARNING AND TEACHING
- Documentation - Drives the creation, publishing, and maintenance of process documentation related to assigned duties.
- Teaching – Takes a leadership role in the acculturation and training of staff. Teaches live or e-learning classes, as requested. Promotes a culture of teaching and learning throughout the community.
- Mentoring - Mentors subordinates in acquiring the knowledge, skills, and experience that will allow them to advance in the organization. Aids, encourages and inspires their team.
- Training development - Collaborates with the education team to develop training materials in their area of expertise, as requested.
- Learning – Pursues ongoing learning in their area of expertise, working to stay current on emergent knowledge, skills, and processes. Participates in conferences, forums, and networking events, where appropriate.
- Speaking – Represents Burning Man as a subject matter expert and culture-bearer, as requested.
- 5+ years experience in Internal Communications (External Communications, Public Relations, and/or Media-related roles or experience a plus).
- 3+ years experience in Black Rock City.
- Excellent communications skills, including highly effective writing, copy editing, and public speaking skills.
- Experience managing executive leadership communications, i.e. talking points, speechwriting, event preparation, etc.
- Some familiarity with graphic design principles and best practices.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously. Must be flexible and adaptable; able to thrive in a dynamic and frequently changing work atmosphere.
- Self-motivated and self-directed, while also being open to collaboration.
- Keen attention to detail and advanced organizational skills.
- Ability to adjust schedule seasonally and work in the harsh physical environment of the annual Burning Man event in Nevada’s Black Rock desert for 2-3 weeks.
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector.
- Experience producing professional/corporate events, trainings, or gatherings.
- Experience leading teams of volunteers.
- In-depth knowledge and embodiment of 10 Principles, and Burning Man culture and
- Ability to work from Burning Man Project’s San Francisco, CA or Reno, NV office (work will be hybrid - remote and in-person).
Note: If you have gained the necessary experience to succeed in this role and have acquired this experience in other ways, we encourage you to apply and share all relevant experience in your application.
- Valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
We are certain that working for Burning Man Project is unlike any other job on the planet! In addition to the unique opportunity to participate and contribute to our global community and culture within a creative, fun, and inspiring work environment, we’re also thrilled to provide the following:
Individual compensation decisions are dependent on a variety of factors, including prior experience and geographical location. The anticipated salary range for this position is $80,000 - $100,000 annually.
- Health benefits: medical, dental, vision insurance for employees and dependents.
- Long term disability and life insurance.
- 401k retirement plan with voluntary employee contribution.
- Accrued vacation and sick time: Up to 10 days vacation per 12 months on assignment.
- Additional annual paid time off in accordance with policy guidelines; 7 paid holidays annually, in addition to paid office closure during December 24th - January 1st.
- Paid parental and bonding leave.
- Communications benefits for remote employees; reimbursement of up to $120/month for home office internet and phone expenses.
- Commuter benefit program.
- Mental health support, life coaching, financial and legal consultation services through our employee assistance program.
- Professional development fund along with unique leadership and learning opportunities.
- Equipment and tools necessary to succeed in a remote friendly workplace.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Off-playa: Work is primarily sedentary in nature; no special demands are required.
- On-playa: Work is primarily sedentary but will also include the need to find and meet with department representatives who may not be in the vicinity therefore, this could include walking or using some form of transportation. Some of the work will be in outside weather conditions and exposed to fumes or airborne particles, as well as possible extremes in temperature.
NOTICE FOR ALL APPLICANTS:
- Burning Man Project celebrates the importance of creating a diverse environment and enthusiastically encourages Black, Indigenous, Peoples of Color, LGBTQIA+, Immigrant, women, and people with disabilities, of all ages, to apply.
- Burning Man Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.