Details: Salary based on skills and experience. Benefits package includes health, life, disability insurance, retirement, and paid time off.
Lead the implementation and management of statewide and local policy campaigns focused on reproductive rights, particularly increasing access for women seeking abortion services in Ohio
Develop and implement strategic, effective advocacy campaigns for reproductive rights and abortion access
- Work with the Senior Policy Director and other senior staff to create long range plans integrating advocacy, legislative, communications, and legal strategies for the campaign.
- Coordinate the day-to-day progress to ensure all staff members are working toward shared goals.
- Utilize strong teamwork skills both within the policy department and across all departments.
- Organize grassroots efforts among ACLU supporters and the public to further campaign goals.
- Grow the ACLU’s base of support for reproductive rights through strategic public education, advocacy, and communications tactics.
- Cultivate relationships with coalition members, stakeholders, and other important constituencies.
Develop relationships with key constituents and participate in coalitions and to further advocacy goals
- Work directly with law enforcement, local government leadership, clinic service providers, and community members to create and implement local policies that will bolster access to reproductive health care for women, and improve relationships between community members and police.
- Understand and lift up the voices of women who are impacted by lack of access to abortion care, as well as those communities who have been historically profiled, abused or disregarded by law enforcement—particularly women of color.
- Represent the ACLU at stakeholder meetings, legislative hearings, community forums, and other public events.
- Utilize strong grassroots and grasstops organizing skills to build coalitions to create stronger policies and relationships to ensure better access to abortion healthcare.
- Effectively manage the ACLU of Ohio’s day-to-day role in strategic coalitions and maintain its status and influence among partners, as well as partners’ buy-in with ACLU strategies.
- Speak publicly at state and local forums, conferences, meetings, and to the media.
Collaborate with colleagues to enhance efforts to increase access to reproductive services for women
- Work collaboratively with policy department colleagues to ensure reproductive rights priorities are integrated into intersecting issue campaigns, with long range and strategic goals.
- Assist the legal department on potential litigation or other legal matters relevant to reproductive rights.
- Partner with the communications and development departments to develop strategies for advancing reproductive rights in Ohio, including earned and social media, op-eds, website updates, supporter engagement, and other activities.
- Coordinate with national ACLU and other national organizations as needed to advance campaign goals.
- Understanding of the intersectionality of reproductive rights, police practices, racial justice, and free speech, and be able to navigate these issues skillfully.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, and goals with an understanding of the range of civil liberties issues and their implications.
- Experience working on advocacy matters, lobbying, and organizing grassroots efforts, particularly in the area of reproductive rights.
- Familiarity with an expansive toolbox of strategies to move decision makers, including targeting, field organizing, activism, and constituent engagement.
- Experience working in coalition, including developing shared plans, coordinating external and internal communications, and understanding internal political dynamics among partner groups.
- Demonstrated ability to thoughtfully plan and develop strategies to change policies and laws in action campaigns.
- Ideal candidates will have outstanding verbal and written communication skills, an outgoing personality, an ability to travel, and experience in social justice advocacy.
- Drive, and have complete accessibility to a car
- Work beyond 40 hours per week to accommodate a demanding schedule
- Attend regular evening and weekend meetings and events
- Ability to travel by car frequently throughout Ohio and out of state by car or plane occasionally
- Communicate effectively with people in person, and via telephone, fax, and email
- Create and transfer electronically computer-based written communications
- Comfortable speaking publicly
- Lifting and carrying 25 pounds
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please indicate how you heard about this position.