Intro/Program Description: Goddard Riverside Community Center (GRCC) Learning to Work (LTW) for Transfer Schools Program at Edward Reynolds West Side High School provides students over-aged and under-credited ages 16 -21 with services and opportunities to foster engagement through academic and personal development that lead to earning a high school diploma. Primary goals include getting students to graduate with realistic and meaningful post-secondary plans, gain knowledge and skills that will increase the employability and awareness of post-high school opportunities available to them. Some opportunities include higher education, trade/technical schools and community service programs. Using the Primary Person Model, each student has an LTW Staff Member as a support to minimize and/or remove barriers toward graduation including engaging students in college preparation, and meaningful career exploration including subsidized internships, academic and personal support services to increase self-direction and self-sufficiency.
Purpose of Position:The LTW Internship Coordinator is expected to develop and manage the internships placements, work-readiness, career exploration and job development activities and job placements of the LTW program. The Coordinator will be instrumental in supporting and developing students’ career skills to ensure they are prepared for post-graduation opportunities. This position will serve as a liaison between Learning to Work and the business community to provide meaningful internships and support to the students and the program.
Schedule: Monday through Friday - 10:00am to 6:00pm and some evening and weekends
Role, Responsibilities, and Essential Duties
1. Develop Internship Worksites and Career Readiness Activities
• Solicit, develop and cultivate internship and or job opportunities with private and public sector employers, including small businesses, and within Goddard Riverside
• Establish liaisons with corporate and nonprofit organizations for identification of employment, internship and career exploration opportunities
• Maintain ongoing contact with employers to learn of new internship and/or employment needs
• Create curriculum on job skills, work readiness and career exploration
• Organize and implement special activities/events (job shadowing, career panels, etc.) which assist students to identify and define career interests for exploration
• Develop and maintain data points related to internships and employment
2. Student Support and Post-Graduation Planning
• Oversee placement and monitoring of participants at internship worksites
• Partner with LTW staff to prepare and present workshops and exploratory activities as needed for development of students’ leadership, life skills, and self-efficacy
• Partner with LTW Team to ensure every student graduates with a postsecondary planning
• Assist students in developing and achieving postsecondary goals, through the use of SMART goals, that are assessed throughout training and during career exploration
• Support students to develop employability skills (Resume building, Cover letter writing, Mock Interviews, completion of internship application, job shadowing opportunities, etc.) through individual and group activities
• Provide student intern support, track student progress, and participate in creating a seamless web of support for the student that includes staff, family and community opportunities
3. Administrative & Student Internship Data Management
• Work with Program Aide and worksites to ensure time and attendance are recorded properly and entered into our Paycom payroll management system
• Conduct ongoing monitoring of internships sites (minimum once a month)
• Maintain records of worksites, job opportunities, internship placements, position vacancies and successful employment applications, with assistance from the Program Aide
• Record service/progress notes for students including but not limited to student interests and activities, SMART goals, attendance outreach, individual counseling, career and college advisement and exploration, service and volunteer activities, and other information as required by program. Assess for referrals to community based support services for students and family members
4. Additional Duties
• Collaborate in the successful management of the internship program with LTW Program Director, GRCC staff, NYCDOE Staff and the community.
• Strategize with team for program improvement.
• In collaboration with Program Leadership and ADED, develop program protocols and practices
• Maintain and organize all required records and files according to organization and contractual requirements and standards
• Collaborate with LTW Program Director with functions such as special events, performances, school community events
• Participate in advocacy and community building efforts as needed to bring visibility and voice for the program, school community and Goddard Riverside Community Center
• Attend and participate in-school / community-based meetings, administrative meetings, professional development trainings and other meetings as needed.
• Complete tasks and/ projects assigned by Counseling Director, LTW Program Director, ADED and DED.
• Bachelors degree in related field
• Minimum of two years of experience providing job development, career exploration/work-readiness, and/or community building/organizing
• Experience with teens, older youth and/or young adults
• Knowledge of evidence-based and/or Best Practices to internship development and placement
• Must obtain Department of Education fingerprint clearance and maintain throughout duration of employment.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Outstanding communication skills
• Ability to self-reflect
• Efficient and organized
• Knowledge of best workforce approaches for teens and young adults
• Team player
• Knowledgeable or willing to learn web-based systems
• Sense of humor a plus
• Fluency in Spanish is desirable
• Frequent walking and standing
• School Community
• Fast paced
• Team Oriented
Intro/Program Description: Goddard Riverside Community Center (GRCC) Learning to Work (LTW) for Transfer Schools Program at Edward Reynolds West Side High School provides students over-aged and under-credited ages 16 -21 with services and…