Details: Salary is competitive and based on experience.
2010 Fulton street
Position Title: Development and Communications Associate
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Employment Type: Full-time
Report to: Executive Director
Employment Status: Exempt
The Bed-Stuy Campaign Against Hunger (BSCAH) was founded in 1998 as a small traditional food pantry operating out of a church basement, and is now the largest pantry in Brooklyn. BSCAH’s mission is to empower its neighbors to lead healthier, more productive and self-sufficient lives by increasing their access to nutritious food and related resources. It has an annual budget of $4.5 million (of which $3 million is from in-kind donations), a staff size of 24, and is looking to expand its dynamic team.
Position Summary: The Development and Communications Assistant is a new cross-functional position that will collaborate closely with the Senior Grant Writer and Development Director to execute effective organizational operations in fundraising, communications, and events coordination. The position interfaces internally with program staff, fiscal staff, and management including the Executive Director. Externally, it may interface with current and potential donors and community partners.
The ideal candidate has an unwavering commitment to BSCAH’s mission of hunger relief and food justice; excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong research and analytical skills, basic technology and design skills, thorough follow up, attention to detail, and a proven ability to organize and manage multiple ongoing projects.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Fundraising Operations – 30%
Objective: Support and strengthen overall development and fundraising operations for the agency
- Work with Senior Grant Writer and Development Director to research and identify new sources of funding for BSCAH.
- Manage and effectively execute all aspects of special events to further support from individual donors and corporate sponsors.
- Design and implement systems that track prospective and current donors, with calendar deadlines and tracked success.
- Closely follow and build on calendar of donor communications including overseeing direct mail appeals, donor surveys, and timely updates.
- Manage and execute various cultivation events and special initiatives to identify prospective donors.
- Coordinate communications to donors, including donation acknowledgements, thank you letters, and other correspondence in a timely fashion.
- Follow up on pledges.
Grants Management - 30%
Objective: Manage grants process, including proposals, applications, mid-term and final grant reports.
- In partnership with the Senior Grant Writer, write new grant applications, including drafting, proof reading and managing proposals and application forms that successfully meet the requirements of potential funders.
- Coordinate site visits, and prepare high-quality supporting documentation for grant submissions and reports, including budgets.
- Support preparation of presentations for funders and partners.
- Track grants in database
- Support the mid-term and final grant reporting process
Communication, Marketing & Public Relations – 30%
Objective: Support and the communications, marketing and outreach efforts of the organization to promote overall brand awareness and outreach.
- Support the preparation of communications materials including annual reports, newsletters, pamphlets, and press packets, so as to effectively convey the agency’s mission and goals.
- Work with appropriate staff to ensure that the agency website is attractive, contains appropriate graphics and accurate information, effectively conveys the agency’s mission and goals, and utilizes up-to-date technology for fundraising purposes.
- Develop, format and circulate all internal and outward-facing print and web materials, and social media, ensuring timely communication with compelling and consistent messaging.
- Promote the agency using social media including Facebook and Twitter.
- Maintain mailing lists for Marketing and Communications.
Special Projects – 10%
Objective: Support the Executive Director as needed to strengthen the agency’s visibility, sustainability and relationships within the community.
- Attend meetings with local representatives, and community gatherings to form new partnerships with other organizations with aligning missions.
- Provide support (i.e. taking notes, providing research, assisting in planning and coordination) to the Executive Director in external and internal meetings.
- Represent the organization at local events and meetings.
Personal and professional characteristics
- Passionate about the organizational mission to alleviate hunger and advance food justice
- 2-3 years of experience with fundraising, especially grant writing in a nonprofit setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an appetite for participation in community and fundraising events
- Organized, timely and extremely responsible.
- Honest, thorough, and attentive to detail
- Articulate, professional, well mannered, confident and well-spoken, both on the phone and in-person
- Proactive, and takes initiative independently
- Proficient computer skills, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and working knowledge of social media, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Linked In
- Flexible and able to work effectively in a dynamic environment
*Salary is competitive and based on experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Tracey Allard at email@example.com with the email title – Job Application: BSCAH Development and Communications Associate.