About the Democracy Partnership
The Democracy Partnership brings together the strengths of the League of Women Voters of Maine (LWVME) and Maine Citizens for Clean Elections (MCCE) behind efforts to empower Mainers of all backgrounds to discover shared values while pursuing concrete solutions to some of the deepest challenges facing our state and nation. LWVME has a long tradition of volunteer leadership and activism, established through its nationally federated organization and flourishing in Maine for almost a century. For twenty years, MCCE has spearheaded the fight for Clean Elections and campaign finance integrity here in Maine, leading two successful statewide citizen initiative campaigns to establish and enhance the first-in-the-nation system of public funding for state elections. The two organizations have been close collaborators since MCCE’s inception more than twenty years ago. Together in 2018 we’ve led voter education efforts on Ranked Choice Voting, defended Clean Elections, and developed programs to increase civic engagement for youth and marginalized communities. We retain a strong commitment to nonpartisan engagement and to achieving the full potential of democratic self-government enshrined in our nation’s founding principles, yet to be fully realized.
The full‐time Communications Director supports MCCE and LWVME’s internal and external communications. They work with staff and volunteer teams to develop effective messages and systems that reach members, donors, the media, and the general public.
The ideal candidate brings the following skills:
- Strong project management skills, including maintaining attention to detail while managing multiple issues, brands, and platforms
- Excellent writing skills, in both formal and informal contexts
- Comfort working on teams with consensus-based decision-making
- Experience with email and social media strategy, and list management
- A deep commitment to the values of inclusion, fairness, opportunity, and nonpartisanship described in MCCE and the LWVME’s missions.
Further, the ideal candidate is:
- Personable and diplomatic
- A team player, team builder, and collaborator
- Aware of how diverse identities and lived experience impact feelings about democracy and elections.
Core Duties and Responsibilities of the Communications Director
- Ensures consistent, up-to-date, on-message content on websites, social media, emails, newsletters, etc.
- Develops strategy for the rebranding and launch of the MCCE/League collaboration
- Coordinates volunteer and staff spokespeople, and ensures volunteer leaders and staff participate in messaging and communications strategy
- Builds and maintains relationships with key in-state and national reporters, bloggers, and communications staff at partner organizations
- Tells the story of our issues and the impact we make to major donors, grassroots donors, and foundations through reports, appeals, online fundraising, grant reports, etc.
- Ensures email data and lists are maintained and expanded according to best practices
- Establishes and maintains the infrastructure and protocols that allow staff and volunteer team members working around the state to fully collaborate in the execution of media outreach
This is a full-time position with compensation based upon experience. Health, vision, dental, and earned time benefits are offered to all employees.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applicants of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate in employment against persons based on color, race, religion, age, ability, gender, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran or marital status. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Please send a one-page cover letter, resume, and three references by email to MCCE/LWVME Operations Manager Nadya Mullen at email@example.com. Please use the subject line ‘Communications Director.’ Applications received by August 8 will be given priority. We aim to have our Communications Director start as soon as possible.