Details: Commensurate with experience.
621 DeGraw Street
Fifth Avenue Committee, Inc. (FAC) is an award winning 40 year old South Brooklyn based non-profit comprehensive community development corporation and NeighborWorks America member whose mission is to advance economic and social justice. FAC develops and manages affordable housing and community facilities, creates economic opportunities and ensures access to economic stability, organizes residents and workers, offers student-centered adult education, and combats displacement caused by gentrification. FAC works to transform the lives of over 5,500 low and moderate income New Yorkers annually so that we can all live and work with dignity and respect while making our community more equitable, sustainable, inclusive and just.
FAC seeks a highly motivated, results-oriented individual to direct our growing affordable housing and community facility portfolio. FAC develops and manages low- and moderate-income housing and community facilities financed by government, banks and CDFIs, corporations, foundations and tax credits. FAC currently manages over 500 units of affordable housing including over 130 units of supportive housing with over 20 commercial spaces in 45 buildings throughout South Brooklyn including Park Slope, Gowanus, Carroll Gardens, Crown Heights and Sunset Park. FAC’s current development pipeline of over $500 million consists of over 1,100 new residential units, and the creation of over 50,000 square feet of commercial and community facility space of which more than 280 units are to go into construction within the next 9 months. Additionally, the development pipeline includes repositioning and capital improvements of 200 units already in management and MIH units part of larger market rate developments.
The Director of Asset and Property Management is responsible for overseeing FAC’s affordable housing, retail and community facility portfolio and works closely with FAC’s Affordable Housing and Community Facility Development unit to transition projects from development to management successfully. The Director leads a team of three full time and one part time asset and property management staff, and a full time Maintenance Manager who oversees twelve resident managers, superintendents and porters and ten front desk staff to ensure the properties’ physical health. They also work closely with external social service providers in supporting housing projects to ensure effective coordination between on-site social service providers and property management staff. The Director also works closely with the Director of Finance and IT and property management accounting staff to ensure the properties‘ financial health. The individual reports to the Executive Director, is a member of FAC’s senior staff team and co-staffs the Board’s Real Estate and Asset Management Committee.
- Ensure the financial and physical health, including compliance with the regulatory, insurance, lender and syndicator requirements, of all of FAC’s real estate assets.
- Provide vision, inspiration, direction and a clear sense of mission related to real estate management for the organization while managing and leading the asset and property management team.
- Work with the fiscal department to oversee the fiscal health of the portfolio.
- Work with Development Units to accomplish smooth transition of projects from development to asset and property management
- Oversee all asset & property management activities.
- Work with finance staff to develop operating budgets per corporation, complete and sign off on final budgets and provide information to complete annual financial audits for each property/corporation.
- Ensure compliance and accuracy of RPIEs, timely payments of taxes and conduct/respond to insurance reviews.
- Prepare accurate and timely submission of quarterly and annual reports and contract submissions to lenders, syndicators, various government agencies, NeighborWorks America and the Joint Operating Entity (JOE) and others, as needed.
- Develop and implement best practice risk management, sustainability and resilience strategies to ensure long-term affordability and resilience of properties and safety of staff and tenants.
- Ensure smooth transition of projects from development to asset and property management; communicate effectively and regularly with Director of Housing and Community Facility Development, Director of Finance and IT and the Housing Development and Fiscal Units.
- Manage and lead asset and property management staff and supervise Maintenance Manager who oversees team of field staff including superintendents, porters and front desk staff.
- Work with Housing Development staff to provide for the successful relocation of tenants as needed for projects in development.
- Ensure respectful and effective tenant relations procedures and actions on part of management staff.
- Oversee commercial leasing and occupancy outside manager/broker as needed.
- Work with staff and consultants as needed to ensure that refinancing needs, capital needs assessments, energy audits, and preventive maintenance programs for all properties are developed and implemented.
- Ensure larger scale rehabilitation projects of buildings in management completed effectively; coordinating necessary external lenders, government agencies, legal representatives and contractors and internal FAC staff as needed.
- Oversee and manage the unit’s monthly review of the financial statements for each property prepared by the Finance Unit and ensure compliance with financial performance standards as well as adherence to budgets.
- Review monthly arrears, rent collection, vacancy and apartment turnaround reports for each property to ensure effective management of assets and collection of maximum rental potential.
- Oversee and coordinate the on-site social service providers in supportive housing buildings.
- Coordinate the boards of the cooperatives under FAC’s management to ensure regulatory and government compliance and effective communication and governance.
- Present any issues requiring executive decisions to the Executive Director including where Board action might be required.
General Organizational Duties
- Maintain FAC’s public image, reputation and key relationships.
- Represent FAC in city-wide advocacy coalitions supporting affordable housing and community reinvestment.
- Staff relevant Board/Staff committees as needed.
- Supervise staff and consultants.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of seven years relevant experience including at least four years supervisory experience in asset and property management of affordable and/or supportive housing.
- Knowledge of affordable housing development including knowledge of financing mechanisms and underwriting standards as well as of New York City, New York State and federal housing programs and policies.
- Bachelor’s degree required; relevant graduate degree preferred.
- Highly organized leader and problem solver, both within organizations and within the field of affordable housing.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking.
- Excellent internal and external relationship-building skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently in a fast-paced office.
- Enthusiasm and respect for working with low-and moderate income populations. Experience working with supportive housing populations is a significant plus.
- Commitment to FAC’s mission, affordable housing, community building and economic development
- Excellent data management and computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, & Yardi).
- CHAM certification a plus.
FAC offers a competitive benefits package including full health and dental insurance (following a 90 day waiting period), life insurance, retirement savings plan, flexible spending and paid time off.
Level of Language Proficiency
Written and oral fluency in Spanish a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
E-Mail resume, cover letter and salary requirements by April 9th, 2018 to:
Michelle de la Uz, Executive Director
Fifth Avenue Committee
621 DeGraw Street
Brooklyn, NY 11217
Indicate “Director of Asset & Property Management Unit” in subject line of email.
Please note that applications without cover letter salary requirements and resume will not be reviewed.