3040 16th Street
Alvarado Extended Day Program Director
Mission Graduates is a nonprofit organization that increases the number of K-12 students in San Francisco's Mission District who are prepared for and complete a college education.
We work towards fulfilling our mission through a wide range of after-school support services that serve over 3,400 children, youth and families each year. Our vision is to transform the culture of our neighborhood so that college becomes the expectation for Mission families, rather than the exception.
The Extended Day (ED) is an award-winning afterschool academic enrichment program serving 1,100 students at 5 schools, Bryant ES, Flynn, ES, Marshall ES, Sanchez ES, and Thomas Edison Charter Academy. We are now bringing our program to Alvarado Elementary School. Youth who participate in the Extended Program develop a sense of self-confidence in their ability to learn, to speak their voice and to contribute to their community. The program infuses college messaging throughout its curriculum to ensure both children and parents alike begin to develop expectations to enter college. This particular position will be building and heading up the Alvarado Elementary School team.
Alvarado Extended Day Program Director
1.00 FTE, exempt (some weekends and evenings required)
$52,000 - $58,000 annually, DOE
Full Health, Dental & Vision Benefits, Vacation and Sick Time
Anticipated Start Date – June 2018
Reports To: Senior Director of Curriculum and Program Design
Key Responsibilities & Primary Duties
Program management & evaluation
- Provide vision, strategic leadership and development of Extended Day Program to ensure quality youth development academic & enrichment programming, ensure program aligns with the goals of Mission Graduates AND the goals of Alvarado Elementary.
- Ensure the development of content and lesson plans that build students’ literacy, English Language Development, academic, and STEM skills.
- Develop programming, with parent input, that meets the needs of a diverse range of students.
- Create program goals, objectives, outcomes and evaluation instruments before the start of each school year.
- Oversee maintenance of all program records.
- In collaboration with the Director of Finance and Administration, develop and manage annual program budget.
- Maintain knowledge of and ensure full compliance with ExCEL policies and procedures.
Successful goal completion & participant outcomes
- Ensure SFUSD’s contracted Average Daily attendance for school year and summer programs.
- Oversee program evaluation and the utilization of evaluation findings in program development to ensure positive outcomes.
- Assist in preparation of funding proposals and reports to funders.
Supervise staff, consultants & volunteers
- Work with each paid staff member to create annual workplans and Professional Development Plans and monitor at regular intervals.
- Oversee the professional development needs of staff and maintain a current knowledge of the education and youth development fields.
- Evaluate staff twice per year and submit final evaluations to both staff and Human Resources.
- Hire, train, and supervise paid staff.
- In collaboration with other MG team members, oversee recruitment, training and supervision of volunteers and program consultants.
Collaborate with community partners, including parents & SFUSD
- Oversee outreach to youth and families, including creation of all relevant marketing materials.
- Act as primary liaison and collaborate closely with the principal and staff of Alvarado Elementary School, as well as ExCEL Department Staff.
- Meet monthly with Academic Liaison and School Administration to coordinate program design, discuss evaluation and explore ways to align activities with regular school day.
- Collaborate closely with community stakeholders including parents and caregivers, community-based organizations, and SFUSD.
- In collaboration with MG's Parent Partner Director, develop parent engagement activities and maintain positive parent relations.
Member of the Extended Day Program Leadership Team
- Align programs models and structures across all Extended Day Program sites.
- Develop academic and enrichment/elective content that can be utilized across sites.
- Collaborate on Trainings and Professional Development for all Extended Day Program Staff.
- Fulfills organizational duties as they arise including participating in staff meetings, special committees, event planning and implementation.
- Participation in staff trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4 years proven experience and ability in working in education and/or youth programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with the best practices in youth development program planning, curriculum development, methods of teaching, and evaluation.
- Bilingual Spanish/English fluency required.
- BA or BS required.
- Current CPR certification (or attained within 2 months of employment).
- Fingerprint and TB test clearance mandatory prior to hire.
- Experience working in communities of color with low-income populations.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and a cover letter articulating your interest and qualifications to:
ATTN: Alvarado Director
(No phone calls please; only applicants submitting both a resume and cover letter will be considered)
Mission Graduates Is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Mission Graduates provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, termination, leaves of absence, training and compensation, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, uniformed service member/veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition or disability, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.