8 West 126th Street
Start Small Think Big is a non-profit organization that serves low- to moderate-income entrepreneurs in New York City and the California/Bay Area who are looking to start or grow a small business in order to accumulate assets and increase their personal financial security. The Legal Programs Director is directly responsible for managing Start Small’s small business legal programming and services, the purpose of which is to ensure that Start Small’s clients develop a sound legal infrastructure for their businesses, thus helping them to mitigate the risks invariably associated with starting a small business and providing them with a stable foundation upon which to grow. The Legal Programs Director reports directly to the Executive Director. Job responsibilities shall include, but shall not be limited to:
● Implementing the organization’s strategic direction and long-term vision for the Small Business Legal Program, including by, first, enhancing the program’s overall quality, in-house expertise, effectiveness, and efficiency as well as by, second, developing the program’s capacity to expand its impact in terms of numbers of clients served.
● Supervising the legal program staff (including legal fellows and interns) and overseeing the coordination of legal referrals to Start Small’s pro bono partners, including, by first, training and providing substantive legal supervision to the organization’s legal fellows who maintain an active caseload of small business legal clients, as well as by second, supervising the Legal Program Coordinator and the organization’s legal fellows and interns to ensure the effective, efficient, and professional coordination of all aspects of legal referrals and placements of new client matters with pro bono partners.
● Maintaining and enhancing strong collaborative relationships with community and governmental organizations as well as (relevant) legal and other service providers to ensure appropriate and sufficient client referrals and to foster the development of collaborative projects.
● J.D. from an accredited law school; member in good standing to the New York Bar or eligible for admission to the New York Bar.
● 3-5 years of post-law school, relevant legal experience.
● Experience performing legal work at a community economic development organization and/or corporate law firm experience.
● Ability to communicate with diverse groups, including Start Small’s clients, pro bono coordinators and volunteer attorneys at large corporate law firms, and other external constituencies, such as community and governmental organizations, civil legal service providers, and press.
● Spanish proficiency preferred.
Benefits and generous vacation/PTO offered.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish proficiency preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit resume and a one-page cover letter to: Jennifer DaSilva, Founder + Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org (include subject line: “[your name] – Director, Small Business Legal Programs”). Position open until filled.