Details: Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
3160 De La Cruz Blvd.
We have an immediate opening for a full-time Senior Civil Rights Attorney to join our growing team in the San Francisco Bay Area. This position offers a unique opportunity to provide leadership in and work on civil rights challenges impacting American Muslims in a grassroots, community-centered environment. The Senior Civil Rights Attorney will be expected to identify, strategize, and use creative legal solutions to address systematic issues facing the American Muslim community.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify, develop, and lead litigation efforts, including, preparing pleadings, motions, and briefs
- Conduct intakes and investigate legal claims through effective communication with an incredibly diverse community
- Manage a considerable caseload (our attorneys currently manage approximately 100 intakes each per year)
- Perform in-depth legal research
- Legal writing including, but not limited to, drafting complaints, letters, and memos; and non-legal writing including drafting community advisories, issuing briefings, and reports
- Communicate with outside parties such as attorneys, employers, law enforcement agents, administrative agencies, media contacts, etc.
- Work to educate and empower community members on their rights through community presentations and material distributions
- Provide expertise and guidance to the CAIR-SFBA legal team
- Travel for outreach including participating in community events and coalition meetings
All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited school
- California State Bar admission
- At minimum five years of experience advocating for, representing and/or litigating on behalf of clients in areas such as employment law, religious discrimination, public accommodation, denial of benefits by governmental and private actors in courts and administrative agencies
- Strong time management skills with a demonstrated ability for meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with outstanding attention to detail
- Comfort working productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking experience
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the greater Bay Area
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
- Basic computer proficiency including knowledge of MS Office, MS Outlook, and WestLaw Next
- Knowledge of cloud applications such as SharePoint, Office365, and social media applications (preferred)
- Conversational proficiency in Arabic, Farsi or Urdu (preferred)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS & LOCATION
The Senior Civil Rights Attorney will be based in CAIR’s Santa Clara office and report to the Executive Director.
Full-time with occasional evenings and weekends required.
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- Bar membership, CLE funding support, and malpractice insurance
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your legal writing, and (4) the names and contact information of three references, to: email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Civil Rights Attorney”.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to applications received by October 31, 2018.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.