204 West 136th Street
ABOUT THE NEW YORK URBAN LEAGUE: (WWW.NYUL.ORG)
The New York Urban League (NYUL) was founded in 1919 by an inter-racial group of concerned New Yorkers in response to the difficulties faced by African Americans migrating from the agricultural and rural south, to the industrial, urban centers of the north. Today, the mission of the New York Urban League (NYUL) is to enable African Americans and other underserved communities to secure a first-class education, economic self-reliance and equal respect of their civil rights through programs, services and advocacy.
The New York Urban League is seeking a seasoned Development professional with a track record of growing giving and engagement. NYUL is seeking someone who can leverage the legacy of the organization and track record of success to diversify its funding base and lay the groundwork for our 2019 centennial. The New York Urban League has an annual budget of $3 million. This role reports to the President & CEO and works with consultants where appropriate.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Implement a strategic fund development plan for increasing revenues and building sustainable streams of funding from individuals, corporations and foundations, special events, and major gift campaigns:
- Develop with CEO yearly overall funding and execute plan
- Creation of strategic goals for the fund development program
- Establishment of donor retention, increase, and leadership giving goals
- Development Director will work with CEO and Board leadership to achieve strategic goals utilizing the following resources:
- Work with board to proactively develop and manage fundraising potential including prospect individuals and a background in hosting events
- Serve as liaison on board committees that focus on and/or support fundraising.
Foundation & Government:
- Lead the development and submission of high-quality proposals.
- Partner with program staff to develop and create opportunities to leverage their outcomes to increase fundraising.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of potential major gift donors.
- Support, prepare, and strategically deploy the Chief Executive Officer, and Board key potential donors.
- Work with consultant to execute annual fundraising dinner and other smaller fundraising and cultivation events throughout the year.
Relationship Building and Cultivation:
- Ensure development and on-going maintenance of appropriate policies and practices for recording, monitoring, and reporting donor gifts in accordance with NYUL systems.
- Develop and enhance partnerships with external stakeholders e.g. funders, community partners, external agencies, and so on to support fundraising and communication efforts.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, COMPETENCIES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES INCLUDE:
- Fundraising Excellence: Proven in-depth extensive experience and understanding of the fundraising / philanthropic environment in NYC. A demonstrated track record of success in increasing and diversifying funding streams.
- Demonstrable success in Board development. Experience partnering with non-profit Boards of Directors to proactively support mission objectives.
- Relationship Building: A skilled relationship manager. Proven ability to develop and cultivate effective external relationships and work effectively with internal and external stakeholders. Able to develop effective partnerships.
- Communications Excellence: Proven experience of leading high-performing communications functions. Superior written and oral communication skills essential.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead high-performing teams - capacity to enforce accountability while developing and empowering staff for success.
- Results orientation - proven track record of a outcome-based orientation and exceeding goals; a proactive problem solver who demonstrates creative resourcefulness and tenacity.
- Project Management – able to balance multiple projects while maintaining attention to detail. Clearly articulates steps to achievement and effectively drives self and others to success.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years relevant experience.
- Good sense of humor and flexibility
- Participate in organization-wide initiatives as required.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required